Burnt leaf edges on cala lily

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by haekate, Jun 10, 2011.

1. haekate

haekate Member

Hello! I have 2 potted cala lilies, an aethiopica (simple, white one), and a picasso. The white one grew pretty fast and nice (since March), but on one of her two leaves appeared some kind of burn, that has a tendency to spread; and the other cala lily started to have the same problem. I used soil from the flowershop, I keep them next to a sunny window, and I try to keep their soil moist. I only used fertilizer once, but the problem appeared before that, so that can't be it. I'd really apreciate it if you could help me,it's pretty hard to find someone who can answer me.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n86/Dannique_D/06062011162.jpg

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Those look like symptoms of wet feet to me. If you used regular potting soil from the flowershop, it might be holding a bit more water than Calla and Zantedeschia like - they love moisture, but hate soggy or muddy feet. I'd give them a repotting into a mix that incorporates at least 25% orchid bark and make sure that the pots have ample drainage holes. Then, when you water, enough moisture will stay for your aroids to be happy, but not so much that they feel like they're drowning.

Best of luck!

3. haekate

haekate Member

Thank you for your reply. That's a very good point...even if the pot has drainage holes, regular potting soil gets pressed down in time because of the watering. But won't the cala lilies be bothered by repotting since their foliage is currently growing? Some plants are, that's why I'm asking.

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I've never had that problem with any Aroid - generally, if their conditions improve they'll put up with a lot of abuse.

5. haekate

haekate Member

Thank you. I'll give it a try