Building a Japanese Maples Garden - Help!

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Atapi, May 6, 2013.

1. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Hi,

I begin to collect various cultivar of Japanese maples in the last five yrs esp. Acer Palmatum. I either plant them (in-ground) or on the pots around my back yard and honestly it began to get out of hand (jungle). At the point i don't think i can enjoy the beauty of them anymore thus after watching the AmazingMaples video and a few other JM enthusias gardens. BTW, I have about 5-6 more yrs to retire and I am thinking more about building a Japanese maples garden to enjoy seeing them grow and show their color beauty throughout the year.

So if anyone has any info or site that can pointed me for more info, I sincerely appreciated. I live in Northern Virginia (zone 7?). This is for the backyard with forest in the East side. The yard is about 100' wide and 30' deep from the deck where i now have green grass. I am looking for info like:
    - Planting technique for color/leaves type/height contrast of these maples
    - Watering system
    - Should all trees be planted in-ground or can half on large plastic pots (or in even root pots)

So far I found lots of Japanese garden type but i would like to focus just only on Japanese maples trees garden. Any advices is appreciated.

Steven

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

See discussion in pertinent section of Vertrees/Gregory, Japanese Maples (Timber Press). One of the main points is the need to prune in order to keep a collection of numerous different specimens in a normally sized space.