Are these Philo's climbers

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by edleigh7, Oct 26, 2007.

1. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

These 2 Philodendron's are planted near the base of the tree. The reddish one I had trained up a tree, after a while came back down on to the ground, and now grows like groundcover. Should I have another try at getting to grow up the tree or should I just let it grow on the ground? From memory the blue-green one was on a totem but when we moved house it broke and started growing from the bottom again, so I guess it will grow on a tree? Oh and is it possible to id these plants with the photos provided?
    Thanks

Ed

Attached Files:

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Interesting. I've never seen these plants growing outside before. Here they are houseplants.Do you by them in the outdoor section of the plant shop?

3. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

I'm running away in the morning so won't be around for a couple of days to give an answer. I'm hoping to allow some of the others to jump in here and offer responses so I don't appear to always try to have the final word on everything.

I believe the first one is Philodendron hastatum. Although capable of climbing, mine has never show an inclination to want to do so. The second one is almost certainly a form of Philodendron erubescens. That one has been hybridized so many times it is difficult to tell if a specimen is the true species or a hybrid. The red petiole is the give-away. that one is certainly a climber. It has now gone wild in Hawaii and many people there find it to be a nuisance because it will climb just about anything. Hopefully Brian, Mic and some of the others will come along and add their input.

4. trikus

trikus Active Member

Get some cheap natural fibre string, Ed , and tie the Philos to the tree . Will start climbing in no time at this time of the year . I have a great hybrid done by David Burnett , its a cross between P.hastatum and P.'Imbe' variegata . Very vigorous climber , must plant some of the cuttings down in the gully . Here it is high up a palm , beneath it is the golden form of Philodendron erubescens . When small it looks very much like a Philodendron hastatum , but once mature it takes on the shape of P.'Imbe' .
    I like the look of a few contrasting colours and shapes when planting Philos .
    So many epiphytes , so few trees !

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  5. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Yeah thanks for that Mick, I usually use stockings, for the plant that is!!, to tie my epiphytes because it expands, that should be OK hey?
    And globalist, they grow outside here in QLD because where I am it is subtropical. I'd imagine where you live you would need to have them inside or in a warm greenhouse

Ed