Oregon: Are these composite flowers from Mount Hood and Crater Lake the same?

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Native Plants' started by Nadia White Rock, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Nadia White Rock

Nadia White Rock Well-Known Member 10 Years

Are these composite flowers from Mount Hood and Crater Lake the same?
    Crater lake.JPG erigeron peregrinus q.JPG

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Don't think so!

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Look at the Wildflowersearch page Margot linked to in your other posting. Some candidates for the second one:

Symphyotrichum spathulatum, Western mountain aster

Oreostemma alpigenum (also seems to be around by the name Aster alpigenus), tundra aster.

It's not really obvious how large these flowers are, and I guess we don't get to see the backs of the flowers.
    For the first one, the leaves aren't very clear, but they don't fold down the middle the way the others do, do they? They look sort of succulent from the photo.

I don't know Erigeron (or any of these others, for that matter), but photos of Erigeron seem to have leaves on the flower stalks and these ones don't.

4. Nadia White Rock

Nadia White Rock Well-Known Member 10 Years

Wendy!
    I had several suggestions - Erigeron callianthemus, Erigeron peregrinus, Erigeron ursinus, Oreostemma alpigenum
    They all single flowers with short stems, so not probably aster or Symphyotrichum spathulatum
    For sure not succulent

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I'd be surprised if you would get an answer based on those photos. For one thing, if Erigeron, the difference between E. peregrinus and E peregrinus var. callianthemus is based on the involucral bracts (the backs of the flowers) and they don't show up in the photos. See
    E-Flora BC Atlas Page

This eFloras Oreostemma page talks about its having scapose stems, which is what I meant about the flower stalks not having leaves, which is what your photos show.
    Oreostemma in Flora of North America @ efloras.org
    It also describes the involucre bracts and phyllaries (each one of the bracts) - I don't know, in the first photo, are those turbinate, 2-4 series of bracts? If "3-nerved leaves" refers to the number of unbranched ribs, we can't really see that detail in the first photo, and the second would seem to have leaves with only one rib, or maybe they just fold on the midrib but there are two additional ribs I can't detect?

The Erigeron peregrinus eFloras page talks about middle and upper stem leaves, whereas your photos show stems with no middle or upper stem leaves.
    Erigeron peregrinus in Flora of North America @ efloras.org

Erigeron ursinus are supposed to have purplish leaf bases, and basal leaves as well as leaves on the stem, according to eFloras
    Erigeron ursinus in Flora of North America @ efloras.org