Another Desert Rose problem

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by Rick53, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Rick53

Rick53 Member

Mark,
    I've done what was suggested with the first one, cleaned all of the bad spots etc and re potted it. It seems to be doing OK.
    Now my other one is losing its leaves, yellowing, or turning brown. I haven't a as to what is going on or how to fix it. I have 3 others that seem to be doing fine. Any suggestions??
    This is my first attempt at trying anything other than African Violets.

2. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

What were you able to find when you repotted your first Adenium? Any root damage?

Can you post any close-up photos of the foliage?

Right now, my adeniums have significantly slowed their growth, and I anticipate them to begin dropping their leaves within then next few weeks. Dormancy should set in soon and should last until about March. Perhaps your adeniums are beginning to enter dormancy, as well.

3. Rick53

Rick53 Member

On the first plant, yes the caudex/base of the plant itself was rotten, I cut off the rotten roots and cleaned all off the bad parts of the caudex itself down to what appeared to be what was clean from rotted material, dusted it liberally with roottone, and replanted it. I waited 5 days until I watered it, and it appears to be doing OK. Now as far as the other plant goes. I didn't know these were deciduous. I do water these plants lightly every week, but check with a moisture meter to make sure they are fairly dry before I add additional water.
    The Plumeria has lost all its leaves already, so it stands to reason if the Desert Rose is also deciduous. By the way we live in Oregon and I brought these indoors a couple weeks ago and have them in a bathroom, do they need to be in a lower lighted location? I also have 6 or so epiphiliums which I brought in and they are in the laundry room, with no outside lighting.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      88.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      76.1 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      74.5 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      76.7 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      75.6 KB
      Views:
  4. SUNRIZE

SUNRIZE Active Member

HI Rick53,

I am giving you a link in the cactusmall I like using but for some reason it doesn’t want to work.

www.cactus-mall.com/andre/ The Adenium Pages

Anyway from my own personal experience I try to give these plants as much light as possible. Mine does not like to be wet and shaded at the same time. I water my mine until I see water draining out the bottom and then don’t water again until almost dry, never completely dry. To me the yellowing of your leaves looks like the plant was either over watered or under watered. Also some of your leaves have a deformed look. Have you checked for parasites?

5. markinwestmich

Perhaps someone else can shed some more light on this, but is sure looks like fungal disease.

The combination of deformed leaves, brown spots, and the general appearance of the plant makes me think this is fungal.

What to do? Once a plant is infected it is difficult to treat and often, the plant may need anti-fungal treatment at least once per year throughout the life of the plant. You have two choices, one cut your losses and get rid of the plant. Two, tough it out and see if you can rehab the plant.

If you want to try to save the plant, I would first pull the plant out of that peat-based mix, as the organics in the mix are likely the source of your fungi. Remove any damaged root structure, dust some root stimulator on the remaining roots, and repot using a bonsai soil or a bonsai soil alternative.

Now the other problem is that given the time of year, it will be entering its dormant period soon. So, I would not expect to see any significant evidence of recovery until Spring. Until then, you will have to be careful with your watering. The Cactus Mall link is a good one. I believe it is this one that basically says to treat Adeniums like tropical plants in the Summer (plenty of organic fertilizer, moist soil, full sun, etc.) and like desert plants in the Winter.

Please, if anyone has more experience with saving Adeniums, I would like to see you post your thoughts.

Mark

6. Rick53

Rick53 Member

Thank you both for your suggestions, I did have some spider mites and sprayed with Orthene. I think this may be what caused the main problem. Lack of water or uneven temperature I believe is the other, I am treating these a little too carefully, I've watered it and have it under a "Ott light" in a more stable area. Most of the affected leafs have fallen off, the newer ones seem to be doing OK for now. I'll find some planting medium as best I can and stand by and watch, the plant itself looks OK. If anyone else has any suggestions I'm open. BTW the cactus website is down!

7. et2007

et2007 Active Member

I'm not sure why, but your Desert Rose look a lots like my when I brought them inside. Because I have lots of plants need strong light so my Desert Rose have to be in a low light place. I have my plants for 8 years now and it does the samething every winter. Almost all of the leaves falls of, but in spring it grow again and flower by Aug-Sept.
    All I did for those plants are wash them when they have scales, feed them in the summer, and threating to chop my husband hand off if he ever water my Desert Rose again.

8. markinwestmich

Try this next year....It's been tried and true for nearly 20 years in western Michigan.

1) Keep your plants outdoors until the overnight temperatures are about 50*F. This puts them into a semi-dormant state, where growth essentially stops, but really isn't cold enough to cause any damage. 2) As overnight temperatures approach 55-60*F in the early Fall, move your full sun plants to a shady spot. For me, it is my covered front porch that faces North. A few weeks here as temperatures drop, allows time for them to adapt to lower light and slow their growth. Back off on your watering at this time, as well. Once you finally bring them indoors, the warmer indoor temperatures "wakes them up". I haven't experienced any leaf drop on any of my plants in several years, even with the significantly lower light levels.

P.S. As temperatures begin to drop in the early Fall, bugs will try to find their winter homes in your plants. Usually in September, I will sprinkle some granular insecticide (Bonide makes a good product) on the soil of my container plants. I tend not to carry little critters into my home this way.

Mark

9. et2007

et2007 Active Member

Thank you Mark, I think I will try next year. I'm alway cautious when it come to insecticide. My skin is very sensitive to chemical, so I washed all my plants with Murphy oil soap.
    et2007

10. et2007

et2007 Active Member

Just learned how to attaching pictures. Hope it works.
    et2007

Attached Files:

11. SUNRIZE

SUNRIZE Active Member

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!! et2007,

You sure know how to grow them!

12. markinwestmich

Very nice specimen! Feel free to post photos like these in the Caudiciform & Pachycaul Tree photo gallery. I started one under "Desert Rose". Please add to it.

13. et2007

et2007 Active Member

Jo Ann and Mark,
    Thank you very much but that all the pictures i have for Desert Rose. If you like i can take more picture next summer for your file Mark.
    et2007

14. cookie_mccool

cookie_mccool Active Member

I'm sure you can't hear this enough, but those are absolutely gorgeous!

15. et2007

et2007 Active Member

cookie mccool,
    Thank you, my Desert Roses are in big container, in the winter i have to wash the scale off and it is getting heavy. I think i will try what Mark suggest next year.