Alocasia X portora

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by edleigh7, Oct 20, 2007.

1. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

After the inflorescence, I seem to have these. I squeezed one yesterday and water came out!! I wouldn't be so lucky to be getting seeds would I? I also opened a real old one up, 2nd pic. Is it just going through the motions of THINKING it has seeds but it doesn't really?? Thanks

Ed

Attached Files:

2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

The seed berries are typically red in color but since this is a hybrid may be a different color. They should be at least 4mm in width, perhaps a bit larger. I would see if you can crush one on something which will absorb the water. Then use a magnifying tool and see if you can see any tiny seeds. There should be one to two seeds per berry. If you see seeds then simply crush some of the berries in small pots of well draining soil. Keep those damp. It will take two to three weeks for tiny plants to form. Hope you got seeds! It is fun to watch them grow. But unless you are going to sell or give away plants, don't get carried away! I did about two years ago with two species and just finally gave away the last plants this summer! They can grow fast!!

3. edleigh7

Thanks mate I'll give it a go.....does this type self pollenate or do they need a beetle or something?

4. photopro

Many are capable of self pollination. I can't speak with certainty on this one.

5. LariAnn

LariAnn Active Member

To my knowledge, as the developer of the hybrid Alocasia x portora, the plants are sterile and do not produce seed. Alocasia seed is a decent size, like a small pea, so anything tiny would be aborted seed. The berries would be about the size of a pea, bright red or orange, and the portion of the spathe covering them would spontaneously peel back, revealing the seeds.

I have done numerous hybridizations and set countless numbers of Alocasia berries, as well has having tried to set berries on A. x portora, and it hasn't happened with that plant. Chromosome doubling may be the only way to accomplish it.

LariAnn
    Aroidia Research
    http://aroidiaresearch.org/portora.htm

6. edleigh7

Thanks LariAnn....I didn't think I would be so lucky.Since this is your baby, you would know. So I take it that the plant is just going through the motions, is that right?
    Another question about this plant is that the other day, I noticed that the new leaves aren't coming out as big as the old leaves. I have about 6 or 7 inflourescence's (?) at any one time. Would this have anything to do with the stunted new growth? Or would it be the lack of water, as we have been pretty dry lately? Or some other reason?
    I've noticed this before with root bound palms that are newly planted in the ground, however this one has been in the ground for over a year.
    Thanks

Ed

7. LariAnn

LariAnn Active Member

Ed,
    Yes, the plant is indeed just going through the motions. That's one reason why I don't count my seeds until the berries are squished. I've had proper looking berries that, upon squishing, yielded no seeds! After waiting two months for ripening, that's quite a letdown, especially when the cross is one I really wanted to see work out.

Whenever Portora is blooming (and this is generally true for Alocasias), the new leaves that come out are significantly smaller than when the plant is in full vegetative mode. That's true if they are in the ground or in a pot. The leaves will not resume the larger size until blooming has completely ceased.

LariAnn
    Aroidia Research
    http://aroidiaresearch.org

8. photopro

LariAnn, is it common for this plant to produce more than one inflorescence at a time? I've got one as well and haven't seen more than a single inflorescence.

Thanks!

9. LariAnn

LariAnn Active Member

Most of the time I've seen Portoras produce inflorescences in pairs, one opens first, then the second one. Successive pairs may then be produced, one pair with each new leaf until blooming is finished. In younger specimens, you might only get one pair, again with one inflorescence opening, then fading, and lastly the second one opening. This is also true, in my experience, with most Alocasias, although the timing on some is such that there may appear to be many inflorescences present at a time.

LariAnn
    Aroidia Research

10. edleigh7

I"ll clarify my point. When I said 6 or 7 inflourescence's at a time, I meant in various stages. They all weren't open at the same time.

11. trikus

trikus Active Member

I have several pods set on a clump of LariAnns Alocasia 'Calidora' .
    These plants came into Australia in flask into WA , and got sold on eBay .
    Will take a picture tomorrow , as the 2nd one just split open . Seeds are quite large 4-5 mm easily . Ed you are welcome to try growing some . I am inspired to try some breeding once a few more plants start getting established . Especially after seeing the fantastic work of both Brian and LariAnn. I have grown a batch of portei from a selfing that Joe Bogner did on a visit many years ago . This is one plant that I really LOVE .

12. photopro

LariAnn, will you explain how you arrived at the name Alocasia X portora? I think I know but I'd just like to hear it from you.

And also, please be sure and welcome ladybotany to the forum! She's got posts on several of the Anthurium seed threads. Appears she believes all Anthurium are just like the hybrid forms of Anthurium andreanum.

13. LariAnn

LariAnn Active Member

OMG, Steve, I'm aghast; you mean you don't know that all Anthurium are just like the hybrid forms of Anthurium andreanum? What, do you live under a rock? I hope you are humble enough to take a lesson! LOL!

Here is how I arrived at the name Alocasia portei x Alocasia odora = Alocasia x portora.

Trikus, the Calidora selfs and sets seed easily; in fact, my Indian Odora and regular Odora also will set seed spontaneously. It sometimes drives me nuts because it means that I can't be sure a cross with them has worked until the seedlings are large enough to show some non-odora distinguishing characteristics. One thing about the Calidora seed set is you are, essentially, getting Calidora F2s, which means you might find something interesting in the progeny.

LariAnn
    Aroidia Research

14. photopro

I think you might want to elaborate JUST A BIT. Some just might think they are all just alike! And yep, I live under rocks just for fun! Sometimes a few people would love to bury me under a pile! A very big pile!

15. LariAnn

LariAnn Active Member

I will, but I want to keep this thread on-topic. See me over at the Anthurium seed thread!

16. edleigh7

Thanks Mick (I presume). Just so there is no confusion, I have been emailing you in regards to Bromeliad hybrids. My signature on the email is Jim E. I don't know what I can trade with you though....

Ed