Propagation: Aglaonema - Queen of Siam

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by wpetestraw, Mar 11, 2013.

1. wpetestraw

wpetestraw New Member

Hello! This is my first time posting here on the forums. I'm an aspiring plant enthusiast, yet my collection only consist of one plant so far. I currently have a large Aglaonema with cream stalks and large leaves (which grow to about 14 -18 in length). It's an absolutely beautiful plant, when it has leaves anyway. This is where I'm having an issue.

When I first potted the plant, it had a large stalk (which is currently about 20 inches tall) and maybe about 6 or seven leaves. Over the course of the next month, all of the leaves died or turned yellow, which I thought was either due to the shock of repotting or the sporadic watering regiment I used. I've since developed a regular watering regiment as well as moved the plant out of direct sunlight.

Now it has started suckering, but I don't want the suckers to discourage any growth from the main stalk. I can see some growth pushing out of the main stalk, but it seems like I have been waiting for months with little to no growth at all on the main stalk. Now I'm wondering if it's even worth leaving the stalk as it's very much alive, but I don't want the leaves bushing out from the top.

I suppose what I would like to do is to remove the suckers and cut the stalk down close to the root and start all over again. But I'm not sure if that would work to it's advantage or not. The plant honestly wasn't in the best of shape when I got it, so I'm willing to do whatever I have to do to make sure she lives a full and healthy life.

That's what brought me here. I would like to ask the forum for any suggestions on how to bring this beautiful plant back into the throes of fruition :)

Any comments or suggestions are much appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013