A decent book about Organic gardening

Discussion in 'Organic Gardening' started by bob 2, Mar 2, 2009.

1. bob 2

bob 2 Active Member

With so much emotional bantering regarding the use of organic gardening in everyday agriculture I picked up a book by Jeff Gillman who seems a lot more qualified than I.
    It's a good read and the bias is pretty much not there for either camp to claim victory.
    I recommend this as a great primer if you are new to gardening or unfamiliar with the history of some of our current movements in gardening.

http://www.gardenrant.com/my_weblog/2008/02/gillmans-the-tr.html
    organic gardening.jpg

Bob

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

I posses, and have read, the book "The Truth About Organic Gardening" by Jeff Gillman. Mr. Gillman is an associate professor of horticultural science at the University of Minnesota, where he researches plant production, and teaches nursery management and pesticide use. I somewhat agree with Bob2 about the "goodness of the read". Although the book may seem slanted, the slant would depend on which side of the organic question a person stands. I would not list the book as great, nor short. It is an OK read. For people interested in the subject it is worth the price. - Millet (1,419-)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  3. bob 2

bob 2 Active Member

I haven't finished reading it yet Millet.
    It was refreshing to see a fellow try to take a somewhat neutral position on this controversy and hopefully encourage others to look for and incorporate the the best discoveries and uses of these disciplines.
    I think ultimately we all want maximum return on minimum investment.
    It's the interpretation of this that confounds a lot of us amateurs
    Bob