22 July 2017 Parsnips Cooking

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Durgan, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

http://durgan.org/2017/July%202017/22%20July%202017%20Parsnips%20Cooking/HTML/ 22 July 2017 Parsnips Cooking
    Parsnips are a vegetable seldom on the menu for most people. I grow them and they can get very large. If cooked in an appetizing manner they can be highly desirable even to children. Simply boiled they are blasé.
    Method. Cut into flat pieces about one inch thick. Steam cook. They cook quickly about five minutes is sufficient. Place in a fry pan using ghee as an oil. Brown lightly on one side. Sprinkle with soy sauce, sprinkle lightly with brown sugar. Place pan in oven under the boiler and brown. Serve alone or as a meal vegetable.
    parsnips%20020_std.jpg

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I've read that the flavour of parsnips is improved if they are harvested after frosty weather and assume that the parsnips above were harvested without the benefit of frosts. Have you noticed any difference in flavour between parsnips harvested before and after freezing weather? I have parsnips in the garden that are already large, and it's a long time before we get any frosts.

3. Durgan

I have been growing parsnips for a number of years and ignore the frost conditioning. I can even overwinter them in the ground and they go to seed in the second year and get huge and produce a zillion seeds. I have not eaten them after overwintering but apparently they can be used in early spring, then they turn woody. I have had to remove them with a pick and shovel, the roots are so tangled, large, and tenacious if left too long in the ground. They also keep well in a root cellar They were used similar to potatoes by the Europeans before the potato was introduced after the discovery of the New World. Apparently they have much nutritional value and should probably be utilized more by the health conscientious. I see they are always present in the Supermarkets in Brantford. Cooked as I presented they are a meal unto themselves, tasty and desirable.

4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Thanks, Durgan. I'll try some of them soon.

5. Durgan

http://durgan.org/2017/July%202017/27%20July%202017%20Parsnips/HTML/ 27 July 2017 Parsnips
    Cooking parsnips to encourage young children to ingest. The parsnip was steam cooked for about ten minutes then lightly browned in ghee (clarified butter) in the frying pan. It was then served with q sprinkling of soy sauce for flavor. The final product was most appetizing.
    cooking%20parsnips%20010_std.jpg