Sarcococca and cold snap - what to do?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by pauls14325561, Apr 1, 2024.

1. pauls14325561

pauls14325561 Member

Hi there, like many others, it seems we had some damage done to our plants by the cold snap a few months back. Our sarcococca leaves have basically all died, but the main stems seem like they're still green and healthy when scraped with my nail. I don't see any new leaf growth, however, so not sure if they're salvageable...? What is the advice for removing old dead leaves / pruning / giving up on these? The bushes are currently about 3-4' tall and wide.

Attached Files:

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I suggest waiting a month or two to see if new leaves are emerging and then decide if it is worth saving or not.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If your plant is an example of S. confusa put an end to the hardiness issue by replacing it with one of the hardier species such as S. ruscifolia* or S. humilis. Also: these are full shade shrubs - in your picture it looks like the affected plant may have gotten too much sun while frozen. With broad-leaved evergreens in general being much more likely to be damaged by cold when exposed to sun while freezing temperatures are in effect. *Looks like S. confusa but offers the twin advantages of greater hardiness and fruits that mature red instead of black