Maple cultivar by another name OR (Synonym).#27 #458 #665

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Another that has come to light from a friend is Acer palmatum 'Wou nishiki'. The synonym is Onishiki. (Greer gardens).

2. Acerholic

Acer palmatum 'Metamorphosa' and the synonym is Arjos1.

Thankyou R @dicky5ash.

3. Acerholic

Here is another that came to light today after discussing with M @maf.
    Acer palmatum 'Saoshika' and the synonym is Ogashika.

4. Acerholic

5. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Rising Contributor

Hi D
    So I went to the nursery today where I got the ICE Dragon and theirs are all green barely any coppery color at all? I’ve attached pictures for you to see what mine is doing. Let me know your thoughts if you think it’s too much sun or too little shade or whatnot. I’ve done nothing to it it’s in its original pot same as theirs. I should have taken a pic of their but it’s easy enough to say they are all green.

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

Hi Lisa, yours is looking wonderful BTW and reacting to correct exposure to the sun. You don’t say where the nursery has theirs placed, but I'm thinking they have them in a lot of shade being maples.
    I find that shade creates a lot more green in many acers, whereby exposure to the sun creates oranges and reds.
    The one thing a lot of people do that is wrong is block out any sun to the leaves. Maples do need sunlight and some a lot more than others.

D

7. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Rising Contributor

Thanks D they had them in full sun but so close together only the tops would see sun so I think your right. I love the colour it is and I believe it’s handling it well and not getting leaf scorch. Having said that do you think I should look for another location that might get more shade?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  8. Acerholic

Good morning Lisa, tbh looking at yours I would leave it as it is. It is flourishing in that position. Some handle full sun very well and some don't. The beauty of it being in a pot is that it can be moved if it starts to show signs of scorch.

D

Lisa Harry likes this.