Clove currants- ribes odoratum

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Wildwildred, May 1, 2014.

1. Wildwildred

Wildwildred New Member

I am seeking information on clove scented golden flowering currants . I am aware they are susceptible to rust but would like to start several in my garden on Vancouver Island as the fragrance is so heavenly. None of the local nurseries can source this plant and all of my online searches lead me to US growers. Does anyone out there have a Canadian source for these plants or would anyone consider taking cuttings of their own specimen? Thanks and happy spring

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Dominant cultivar has been 'Crandall', which may be sold as a black currant when intended for edible planting - you may find stock available under that umbrella, rather than as a decorative shrub Ribes odoratum.

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Some sources report Ribes odoratum as a synonym of Ribes aureum. You might have better luck with that name. Cedar Rim Nursery has that in their container stock listing.

4. Wildwildred

Wildwildred New Member

Wonderful, thank you both for the information! It was very helpful!

5. Ron B

It's the other way around: Ribes aureum hort. is a synonym of R. odoratum H.L. Wendl. This and R. aureum Pursh are two distinct species with different wild ranges and morphologies. Which of these a particular source is offering needs to be deduced from whatever descriptive information is provided or determined by viewing the stock in person.

6. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

It's a mixed bag of listings for this plant; so it's not clear which way it really is. Examples in which R. odoratum as listed as a synonym:
    Those not familiar with this plant, myself included, should be aware of possible mislabeling.

7. Ron B

The only sound basis for such listings would be if clove currant has been at least once legitimately published as being within golden currant, by someone intending specifically to demote R. odoratum; I am not intimately familiar with the entire literature of the two species, which otherwise seem to exist as distinct entities. Unless there is knowledge of uniform genetics or morphological grading together that shows the two cultivated plants are merely a western version and a central US version of a single species, I have to think somebody isn't interpreting the situation right.

Since the 'Crandall' cultivar is sold as a black currant I think I have seen it listed incorrectly by suppliers as Ribes nigrum 'Crandall'. A similar apparent mistake is R. rubrum being planted in local re-vegetation projects in place of R. sanguineum.

8. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years