Identification: Acer ID

Discussion in 'Maples' started by GeorgeT, May 16, 2020.

1. GeorgeT

GeorgeT New Member

Hi all-
    I’m new to this forum and I’m hoping for some help with identifying a variety. Pictures are taken today in Virginia, USA. Fall color is a more striking red. I’d also love some advice on how to propagate this tree. I know I’ll be moving in the next couple years and would like to grow one like it over my Lifetime. I have many seedling from this tree but It seems almost all the varieties are grafted. Thanks to everyone in advance for lending your expertise.

Attached Files:

2. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Air-layering it would be the best option IMO, especially since you have at least "a couple of years" to get good results.

You can try now, or later until mid-June here, but I think in Virginia where I think it's warm longer in the season, mid-July could be OK.

Some cultivars air-layers take only 2-3 months before being removed, but it may vary depending on the climate, the cultivar, etc.

The first ones I successfully did were based on this article from Harry Harrington, who lives in a milder, and I think a bit rainier weather :

Layering techniques for Bonsai

About the name of the cultivar : it looks like a cv from Acer palmatum amoenum, maybe just Acer palmatum 'Atropurpureum'. I have a much smaller one that looks about the same.

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Herons bonsai on You tube give a tutorial on air layering, @AlainK is the expert on Bonsai so I would take his advice as I hope to with an Oak at a later date, but I enjoy learning from instructional videos, so thought I would suggest this to you.
    Do love your tree btw, it looks 80 years old plus.

AlainK likes this.
  4. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

No, i'm not an expert!

Just like for maples, I'm a long-time learner, and the more I know, etc. etc.

Acerholic likes this.
  5. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@AlainK , well I'm impressed by your knowledge, so hopefully George will take your advice.

I would love a tree like his in my garden, such a shame he has to leave it behind. So much character!!!!

Daniel Mosquin likes this.