Identification: tropical plant, unknown name.

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by eliyome, Jul 16, 2007.

1. eliyome

eliyome Member

i bought this plant from a grocery store and i have found many pictures of similar looking plants on the internet. it is purple and green, fuzzy, and i beleive bloomed yellowish flowers in april. either the pictures werent the right kind of stripe, wrong color, or did not seem has hairy or fuzzy as mine. i dont want to mix it up with something else, i want to know exactly what it is! if anyone knows i would greatly appreciate some info.

Attached Files:

2. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

it might be an wandering jew.. or a mozes in a boat .. wich is another type of wandering jew ... but that sure is a beautifull plant ..love the variegation on it ..

Marn

3. everlasting

everlasting Active Member

wandering jews especifically this species (tradescantia fluminensis) is an invasive plant. In fact, it is considered a weed in some areas. If you want that plant, hang it. When the stems break, it will grow into another plant.

4. eliyome

eliyome Member

this plant has been impossible to find. there are literally 3 decent pictures of it on the internet. but i was able to narrow it down to the name you mentioned. but i didnt know that it was invasive. it grows incredibly fast and there are probably a few of them in that one pot. i think 4 or 5. so in the next year it will be enourmous or i will have to try to take it apart and give it away. i have never divided any plants that are in the same pot. im too new to plants for that yet. but thanks for the replies it irritates me to not know the exact name of the plant i have.

5. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

It grows vigorously and may be invasive in some areas like the Philippines, where everlasting lives, but it will not survive a winter anywhere in Canada, so it is only grown as a houseplant around here.

6. TonyR

TonyR Active Member

The name Tradescantia fluminensis is used rather loosely, or at least it is a variable species with several distinct races. One of these (often identified here as T. albiflora) is one of our worst weeds of shady forest floor in coastal New South Wales, but most of the others, including all the variegated ones, never seem to naturalize here, or at most spread a very short way from dumped garden waste.

If the stems of your plant are really hairy, it may possibly be a variegated cultivar of T. blossfeldiana, as all forms of T. fluminensis lack obvious hairs.

7. eliyome

eliyome Member

yes it is very hairy. that was one of the hardest parts when looking for photos of it on the internet, it was hard to figure out what was hairy and what was not.