grape vines in a pot

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by angcote, Jul 15, 2007.

1. angcote

angcote Member

Hello,
    I'm just wondering if anyone is able to tell me if I can grow a grape vine in a pot. We are building a pergola and will have each of the four posts going into large pots and would like to grow the vines directly in here so that they will crawl up the post. My concern is the winter. Will they survive the winter if left outside in the pot? Or do they have to be in the ground below the frost line?
    Thanks!

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Growing it in a container shouldn't be a problem - see this thread.

The frost concern, I'm not certain about. In your climate, it is likely an issue.

3. Seamus

Seamus Active Member

I have a few perennials in pots that I normally have on my patio during the summer. In the mid-Fall I dig all the pots into the ground beside the foundation of my house (an excellent source of sub-terrainian heat) and back-fill them into the ground. As the foliage dies off I put more and more mulch ontop of them for added protection. I only started doing this last year but this year I dug-in 4 plants and all 4 survived, but winters here in Nova Scotia are probably pretty mild compaired to Ontario.

4. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Angecote, I get your hardiness zone as 6a so you will have to insulate your containers well with bagged leaves or something of the sort. I wouldn't use anything smaller then a half whiskey barrel.
    http://nlwis-snite1.agr.gc.ca/plant00/index.phtml#

Newt