Pine needles everywhere

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Marthanalex, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Marthanalex

Marthanalex Member

We just moved into a home with 3 acres, 2 of which are cultivated. These 2 acres are completely out-lined in pine trees. We have a huge number of pine cones and pine needles to deal with. We have some shrubery and a few fruit plants and I need to know if I can use the pine needles as a mulch. I know the azaleas are acid loving, but not sure about the others. We have 2 dwarf peach trees, several black berry, raspberry vines and a blue berry bush. We will be putting out some tomato plants. Can the pine needles be used for mulch with all these plants? Are there any plants that should not not have these pine needles.

Thank you,
    Marthanalex

2. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

I would not use any pine needles for vegetable beds....except for pathways alongside your raised beds....best for weed control and access to edibles.leave the needles where they lay, for weed control and low maintenance...the odd hosta would survive once you nuture them as they will become drought resistant over the seasons.

3. Marthanalex

Marthanalex Member

Thanks so much. I'm trying to figure out a way to use them, but as you suggest, I probably need to leave them alone - but they tend to make the grounds have a "dirty" look where I would prefer grass to grow.

Thank you.
    Marthanalex

4. shrubbist

shrubbist Member

Curious about pine needle Ph, I soaked some dry pine needles, put them in the blender and checked the Ph. Around 6.5, which is the same as my tap water. I run the mower over the dried needles and use them for mulch. Pulling the mulch aside to top-dress with compost or whatever is the only drawback. I do notice that the hostas mulched with pine needles have less slug/snail damage. So it's a trade-off.

5. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Maybe you could use your pines as backdrops to planting suitable acid loving plants for your area. You have a large area and it should still leave you enough room to have the vegetables, grass and fruit trees. Other ornamental conifers may work in your area. Many shapes colours and sizes. Check the nurserys to see what is acid loving for your climate.

http://www.bluehillcountrygarden.com/conifers.html

Liz