Identification of growth on Orchid

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by Lara, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Lara

Lara Active Member

Hi, I got this orchid from my friend, she wanted to through it in the garbage, but I decided to do everything to save it. When I brought it home I found out that orchid's roots are all rotten. I cut, clean everything, and left only 2 (they are not in good condition also). Leaves were eaten by mites, I catch a few of them on the plant, and I cut places that were eaten by mites. For two weeks orchid was placed in the moss. Every two days I find mites net on the roots, I start over with cleaning and disinfecting the plant. Today, I found some new growth in two places. One is probably root (a little bump next to the one of the roots). The other one is growing on the place of dead leaf. Does anyone can say whether it is a new roots or a spikes. In case it is a spike, what should I do: let it be or prune it? I'm afraid that poor plant doesn't have enough power to flower. I got different information on that matter and I will appreciate your opinions.

Attached Files:

2. hibielover

hibielover Active Member

Hi Lara, from the looks of the plant, the little bump is probably anouther root. I was told to put struggling orchids in a humidity tent [put plant,pot and all in a plastic bag] You could also keep it on the dry side, but mist it once a day. hope this helps a little.

3. James D.

James D. Active Member

Leave it in a sweat tent, plastic bag over a pot of moss and vent it every few days, let the roots grow untill you have quite a few then plant it in a clay pot with good orchid mix, cut off any flower spikes it might want to send up so it will put all its energy into producing healthy roots and leaves.

4. Lara

Lara Active Member

Oh, I hope it is...I just cut the other two roots because they become rotten.

5. Lara

Lara Active Member

Thanks James, I did what you have suggested...One question: should I feed the plant during root growth? I fed it with a weak fertilizer, but some sites suggest not to feed until its roots are 2-3 inches.

6. James D.

James D. Active Member

no, don't feed your palnt untill there are good roots.

7. Lara

Lara Active Member

Here is the update on my orchid. Now it has only one root in a very bad condition. The plant is in the moss and I put a plastic bag over the pot. I'm doing everything that were suggested...but orchid's leaves losing moisture, they become lifeless, look like a Spaniel ears... The growth (two little bumps) turned black. I cut down the spraying with water. Also, the young leaf is cut right where stem (rosette or rhizome) toward the middle of the leaf, it looks like it was broken or cut with a knife, another part of the leaf is attached. Should I cut it? It will dry up eventually and I don't want that poor orchid spent last energy on that leaf.
    What else could be done? How long usually does it take for a new roots to start grow?

8. SierraM

SierraM Member

Honestly? With one root (that'll be lost soon), a few leaves, and I assume an ongoing problem with mites as well...your friend was probably right. You probably don't want to hear this but, recycle it and move on. Saving an orchid in dire condition can be done, but usually by someone with a fair degree of experience in orchid care. And even then there's a high percentage of failure.
    You have a plant that is seriously stressed. New root growth is blackening & dying, the leaves show the effects of loss of moisture and the inability to take any in, and mites may still be an issue.
    Use a Safer like detergent & get rid of the mites...they're sapping the little that's left of the orchid's strength. Do NOT water the moss...it'll only cause the base to rot. Do NOT feed with any fertilizer. Tenting the plant is good, but avoid stagnant air...it needs some circulation. Keep the conditions as clean & sanitary as possible. Sterilize knives or clippers you use to trim the root(s) or leaves.
    I see in the pics four+ leaves. That's a lot of vegetative growth for the original two roots to support & recover from, even if they were in good condition, and you're loosing the last one.
    I'm sorry, but IMO, your effort would be best spent caring for a new healthy plant than trying to save this one.