Cacti fell apart - How to replant?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by NATALIE, Apr 6, 2007.

1. NATALIE

NATALIE Member

My cactus popped off its root today. It was tipping over for the last few days. Is it still alive? How can I replant the top?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  2. mandarin

mandarin Active Member 10 Years

The lower part is dead, you must cut that off until you reach tissue which is not discoloured. You should also trim the edges, because they do not shrink as much as the central part. Then it should dry for at least a month before you put it in a well-drained medium, preferably without organic matter. It is difficult to do this properly for a beginner, people who are not used to cacti tend to water the cuttings too early and cause them to rot again. I doubt that it is worth the effort, but it can at least be a good excercise.

3. rockminer

rockminer Active Member

I would suspect that you are seeing the ultimate result of root rot likely caused by overwatering. Here are the steps that I would take to save the plant:

1. Cut the rotted end of the cactus above any sign of rot--It needs to be cut in healthy green stem. Use a clean sharp knife.

2. Allow the cut end to dry and callus for at least 4 or 5 days. I lay mine on a paper towel not in the sun.

3. After callusing, plant the cactus in a well draining cactus mix that is no more than moist and do not water until evidence of root growth appears. You can lift the cutting and check but it usually takes several days or weeks for roots to appear.

4. Always allow cactus soil to dry out, almost completely, before watering as most are prone to rot if kept moist.

You might want to give a tug on the others to see if they are also rotted off and probably should repot them even if they seem firm. I hope you are successful in saving your cacti.

Bill

4. nancypetty

nancypetty Member

let it dry out completly they go mounths without water here A.Z and thrive they are sponges and thats how the live if we get alot of rain the sagaro will over fill get top heavy and fall