Dying Ficus!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Wyley, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Wyley

Wyley Member

I have a braided ficus (ficus alii, I believe) that I moved to from my home to my office five months ago. As expected, a large number of leaves dropped off. However, although new groth has started, most of the leaves have brown patches surrounded by very thin yellow halo-like rings. There are also tiny white spots on some of the leaves. The new growth is turning brown and shriveling.

I have searched for bugs (and found none) and used permethrin but nothing is working. I have had this plant for years and would hate to lose it now! Please help!

Attached Files:

2. James D.

James D. Active Member

it may still be sffering from spider mites, or it could be the change of environment. Also lack of water and humidity will cause browning of the leaves. Lastly, it may need to be re-potted.

3. Rima

Rima Active Member

And if there's lower light where it lives now, it could be watered too often.

4. dff

dff Member

Put it where the light is brightest, hold back on watering until the first inch is barely moist, check by sticking your finger in the soil (this is assuming that your potting mix is still good), should not be standing in water and as far as spraying for pests, wait for a while, unless you notice the actual insects. Spider mites can usually be spotted by the webbing they make ( check where the leaf stem joins the branch and you might see light webbing)and stippeling of leaves. If you see white fuzzy dots, then you might have mealy bugs. If you want a quick easy, none noxious treatment, put some plain old alchohol in a spray bottle and lightly spritz any infected areas. This I find will kill most critters and will not hurt the plant or you. Try a small area of leaves first and see if any problem occurs. Most people lose plants by killing them with kindness, give your tree time. Good luck.

5. MOCHA

MOCHA Active Member

if you just moved it try acclamiezing it with a clear plastic bag of some sort.(not dry cleaning though it has left over chemicals I believe.) try that for a 2 weeks or so.And the Achohol is aweasom it is the least exspensive and the is really effective.