Germinating Maples from Seed?!?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Arbor_Draconis, May 6, 2004.

1. Arbor_Draconis

Arbor_Draconis Member

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can give me some info on growing bigleaf maples (I think that's what they are anyway) from seed.

There's big old maple near by to my house that is getting ready to drop a big bunch of seeds. Big hairy winged seeds. Kind of exciting. I want to get some of them and see if I can grow me some wee baby trees.

Anyway any help will be most appreciated.

2. stephen2602

stephen2602 Member

Big hairy winged seeds? Sounds almost like a horror movie in the making.... The attack of the maple seeds...??

Anyway, depending on how dry they are, mix them in with Peat Moss, chuck them in the fridge for 3 or 4 months and then plant the seeds in early Spring. Do not forget them as they might even start to germinate in the fridge like mine did. I ended up having 2 inch "sprout" like things in the bag and they did not transplant all that well. Ensure the seeds are kept moist after planting and don't plant them any more than a few millimetres in a good seed raising mixture. Give them some chance of getting a bit of warmth and you can't fail. Seeds cant really fail as long as they are looked after and the closer to their natural habitat, the better for them.

Stephen