Brown Tips... HELP!

Discussion in 'Maples' started by isasol, Sep 18, 2006.

1. isasol

isasol Member

Here are two photos of the leaf of my acer palmatum dissectum. The maple, cultivated in a quite large pot, was doing well in spring with stunning red leafs , then in August leafs turned green but think this is typical of this variety. But suddenly in late August (sun from 3pm to 6pm, shade the other hours) the tips of the leafs dried and turned brown as you can see in the photos... Don't know if it has been caused by the excessive hotness of the summer or excessive water. I ususally water the maple every dayi wth abundancy in summer time. Is there someone that can help me with the issue? How much water maples raised in pots really need? Do they need to dry before getting water or constant water every day is best choice?
    Thank you very much!
    CIAO

Leaf 001.jpg

Leaf 005.jpg

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

Most likely too much sun - those types of maples (very lacey ones) should be planted in light shade, then the soil should be allowed to dry a little in between waterings. It's always good in hot climates to use a light colored, possibly shiny, pot as well, which can make a big difference to the roots.

3. isasol

isasol Member

Thank you so much Rima. I'll try to let the soil dry a bit between waterings... probably one time every two/three days should be a better choice getting into autumn. I was just worried the problem was due to over-watering cause during the hot italian summer i tried my best not to let the soil dry at all....
    Any other help is welcome!

4. schusch

schusch Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hello - it might be best to give it morning sun, rather than afternoon sun, if you can move it (since it's in a pot), and keep it out of strong (dry) winds.
    If you are worried about excessive versus not enough water - checking, not just on the surface, and keeping it moist (cool) but not wet is generally recommended - you could also experiment with the soil mix you are using. There are a few discussions regarding this here on this forum - so you could use the search function 'search this forum' (above).
    Generally speaking a mix that drains well, and is well aerated - and will not break down too quickly, thus continue to drain well before you repot - will make it easier for you, and is better for the tree, since overwatering becomes less of an issue. Of course, you know your climate, so if heat and dry winds are an issue in the summer, it shouldn't dry out, either.
    Roots need air, so you need to assure this, especially when growing in a pot, but no one can tell you how often to water, since it depends on your climate, the potting mix, etc.
    Schusch

5. Arthur

Arthur Member

Hi there,
    Shared worries are worries halved - or may not. I have the same problem with a Acer idssectum however planted in soil. For the last 3 years everything was fine. Now, since about a month or so leaves begin to dry from the tips, however - funy enough - only on 2 or 3 twigs. The rest is still as beautiful as before.
    My question: Do you think I should clip those bare, leaveless branches or leave the little tree as is?
    In another issue, Schusch instilled that longer term look into my approach to plants not looking always at their best. Wait and see - next spring maybe the solution?

6. Rima

Rima Active Member

Don't prune now, wait at least a month til they're dormant, or they'll be too stressed out. Sounds like they might need more humidity, less sun or less water.. the more 'dissectum' they are, the more sun intolerant.

7. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Isasol,
    This is pretty much normal, there is nothing to worry about if the branches look healthy and green. It was quite hot in July in western Europe and half of my maples in pots also have brown tips.
    In our climates in Southern Europe, for maples in pots, more than good drainage we have to worry about enough water retention to allow maples to make it between two waterings.

Ciao

Gomero

8. isasol

isasol Member

Thonk you all!
    Gomero think you are correct... brenches look healthy and leafs don't fal down at all... but i was worried the problem was due to overwatering more than heat! And yes the problem is always july that brings two/three week of pure heat.
    Grazie,
    CIAO!

9. kaydye

kaydye Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I was so relieved to read this post today. The same thing happened to my Ever Red dissectum. It has been in the ground two years and looked great all summer, then all of a sudden leaves turned brown on one portion of the tree. It is planted in a really shaded location, so I couldn't figure out what the problem was. We have had some high temps and quite a bit of rain and the stems look healthy, so I will wait until next year and not worry. Thanks so much for the question and the input.
    Kay