Why no Peppers??

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Herky, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Herky

Herky Member

For some reason my pepper plants are not putting any peppers on this year. The plants look pretty good themselves. They stand at about 2 - 3 foot tall. They have been blooming most of the summer, but have yet to put any peppers on. Is there something I am not doing right?? I have only been growing them for about 3 years now, but they have always done very well, so this is why I am a little concerned. The only thing I can think of is that they may not be getting enough sunlight...is this a possibility??? The garden is in full sun, but they are planted right next to my sweet corn, which is probably seven foot tall now. They are still getting strong south sun, but may be a little shaded till mid-late morning.

Thanks

2. Monk

Monk Member

Did you try a different fertilizer this year? Too much nitrogen will give beautiful plants but no peppers.

Richard

3. Herky

Herky Member

I don't use much fertilizer in the vegetable garden. The only thing I have done in the last two years is side-dressed the sweet corn with nitrogen. Now, the question this brings up for me now is, would the adding of nitrogen to the sweet corn be enough to effect the peppers...which as mention earlier are planted right next to the sweet corn. Personally I don't think it would be enough to effect them but I don't know for sure. I put a little bit of straight nitrogen along the rows of sweet corn, twice during the year. The peppers are about 35-40 inches away from the corn(don't remember the exact spacing). Do you think this would this be enough to mess up the peppers?

Thanks