Identification: can you help me identify this plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by pouce vert, Jul 16, 2006.

1. pouce vert

pouce vert Member

this plant was given to me as a clipping on soil... it has since grown to be about 16 inches high and seems to grow before my eyes - i can't believe it (10 months ago it was about 6 inches high and there were only about 3 stalks)

Attached Files:

2. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

that could possibly be a Creeping Charlie .. (Swedish Ivy) .. google that and see if it is ..

Marn

3. pouce vert

pouce vert Member

i googled it - and i'm pretty sure it isn't a creeping charlie - it doesn't flower like the ones on google. thanks anyway...

4. Chanticleer

Chanticleer Member

To take stock:
    1. It's a succulent
    2. Leaves are opposite, dark green, elliptical, and crenate
    3. It produces flowers of some form, as implied by your last post(?)
    Based on these facts, I'd suggest your plant is Kalanchoe blossfeldiana, else a closely related species. Note that the specimens most often photographed are in full bloom, usually shortly after being purchased from a florist. These plants were grown under ideal conditions, which probably don't compare to those of your home. See this picture of a non-flowering specimen, which looks just like yours-- smaller leaves that are spaced widely apart along the stem. It does look rather leggy, which would explain its resemblance to creeping charlie. You might consider summering your plant outdoors (avoiding direct sun) to encourage bushier growth and (with hope) flowering.

If I'm wrong on the ID, it's because I've got Kalanchoe on the brain lately; it's such a diverse genus.

5. pouce vert

pouce vert Member

i guess my statement was a little vague in the last reply - it doesn't flower AT ALL - or at least not in the 2 years that i have had the plant. sorry for any confusion. it does look like the non-flowering version of the Kalanchoe, however the stalks are more on the beige side ... but i will definitely research this plant further to see if this is indeed what it is... and i will try putting it outside - i love photographing flowers!

thanks for the suggestions...

stace

6. wild-rose-43

wild-rose-43 Active Member

I agree with Kalanchoe blossfeldiana, they are pretty when in bloom but are generally discarded after bloom because they produce unattractive growth and do not readily flower again indoors. Moving it outside for the summer may help it to bloom again