Gerbera Daisies

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by vreebug, Jun 15, 2006.

1. vreebug

vreebug Member

Will these do okay in a filtered shade/sun spot?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Not an outdoor plant in frosty climates. Also seem highly prone to rotting of the crown, I see them collapsing right in the shops before even being taken home to die on the unwitting consumer later.

3. vreebug

vreebug Member

Really? Oh well, I already planted it outside in the filtered sun/shade area. I guess we'll see what happens. Thank you!

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Not an overwintering outdoor plant in frosty climates. You can certainly try it as a summer annual in one.

5. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Gerbera daisies need full sun and are heavy feeders.

Newt

6. seabreeze0197

seabreeze0197 Member

What does "heavy feeders" mean in this instance? My husband gave me a gerbera plant for Valentines Day and it's just been sickly ever since. I've managed to keep it alive, though it's only got 3 leaves and they're not in great shape. As soon as the weather was warm enough I put it outside and it's done much better, though still not thriving...I'd love to be able to perk it up and keep it growing...
    Thanks!

7. Newt

Hi Seabreeze,

Sometimes it seems like we talk in a different language! :) It means they need lots of fertilizer. They also do better in soil that is rich with organic matter like compost. If you have it in a pot check to see that it isn't rootbound and needing a 2" larger pot. If the roots are circling, tease them out a bit. If you need a site for repotting just let me know.

It would help if you can fertilize once a week with a half strength solution of fertilizer. If you don't have one, fish emulsion mixed with seaweed would be great.

Newt

8. seabreeze0197

seabreeze0197 Member

LOL! I assumed that is what you meant, but sometimes assuming is a bad idea! ;) It isn't rootbound, though I'll give it some fertilizer and see if that helps. I just bought some organic fertilizer today as well as some Miraclegro liquid houseplant food...do you think that would work or wait for the compost?
    Thank you so much! I'd love to be able to keep this plant alive!
    Heather

9. Newt

Heather, you are so very welcome!! I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Gerbera daisies don't do well as houseplants. They also don't seem to recover well once they've been stressed. ;( My daughter had the same experience as you. Her hubby had given her one too. Notice the past tense here?

I'm not a fan of synthetic fertilizers like Miracle Gro, but in this case I'd say go ahead. It's more like steroids for plants.

Good luck!
    Newt