What to plant in a dry, partially shaded corner

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by KBQ, May 31, 2006.

1. KBQ

KBQ Member

The thread title says it all, except for needing something at least five feet high that does not spread.

2. Gordo

Gordo Active Member 10 Years

Elaeagnus pungens
    Mahonia x media

3. KBQ

KBQ Member

Well, i think the Elaeagnus pungens is too big. Did I mention that the plot is a raised bed with a tree stuck in the middle? ;-D The bed is about 8 x 5. It is in a co-op complex and most of us have a tree or large bush to contend with and this requires quite a bit of creativity. The 'corner' is bounded by a wall on the east side and a trellis fence on the south side. It is the only part of the bed that is bone dry all year. that's why I think that the mahonia might be perfect but seems to need more moisture and sun?

4. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

There is a silver-leaved Cotoneaster that might work well, or else a yew if you don't want flowers. Some ferns, mostly polystichums, can take these conditions too. If you want a vine on that trellis, you might consider Akebia, although all the flowers would probably be on the outside of the fence facing the sun, if the layout is as I understand.

One key element of success in such conditions is getting the plants established. Fall planting is best; if you plant in spring or summer they need lots of watering through their first season.

5. KBQ

KBQ Member

thank you