Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

Thought all the flowers were destroyed with the frosts so was surprised to see these samaras yesterday afternoon, though hiding might be easy within 'Mikawawa Yatsubusa' foliage.
    DSCN8951.jpeg

again this morning during a heavy mist...
    DSCN9001.jpeg

LoverOfMaples, zfrittz, maf and 5 others like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Lovely G and it gives rise to optimism.

3. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Woke up early this morning....unusual for me:

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

Good morning, well I can't say it's unusual for me to wake up early as in J @dangerine49 case, so I will post photos without the rain on a beautiful sunny and early start to the day here in Southern England.
    Otome zakura 275.JPG Pixie 275.JPG English lace 276.JPG Bi hoo 275.JPG Bloodgood 275.JPG Sango kaku 275.JPG Flavescens 275.JPG Beni Tsukasa 276.JPG
    These are, Otome zakura, Pixie, English lace, Bi-hoo, Bloodgood, Sango kaku, Flavescens and Beni tsukasa.

5. Keith Elliott

Keith Elliott Contributor

Moved all the new maples under cover for the duration. They will still get morning sun, and I'm going to watch what time the sun actually goes off them, which should be around noon or so. The really big heat doesn't get here until around 3 pm and later.

IMG_5572.JPG IMG_5578.JPG IMG_5573.JPG IMG_5577.JPG IMG_5574.JPG

6. Keith Elliott

Sango kaku looks like it might not make it. It is now moved to a cool part under cover. But the leaves don't look too great to my inexperienced eye. If anyone has any suggestions I will be most grateful. Thank you.

IMG_5581.JPG IMG_5582.JPG IMG_5583.JPG IMG_5584.JPG IMG_5585.JPG

zfrittz and Xi-feng like this.
  7. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Hey @Keith Elliott look at your amazing lot!!! Your Sango Kaku has seen better days. I had a tree the other year look like it was on deaths door. I moved it to a shadier spot added a tiny bit of slow release fertilizer and the following year it looks fully recovered. Our trees have some huge differences such as mine was much more mature. Extremely pot bound and the leaves were very discoloured but not totally dry and brittle. A number of guys like @Acerholic @emery @Luke’s Maples and a few others helped with recommendations to save mine. Here are a few then and now pics.

Attached Files:

8. Keith Elliott

Good morning Lisa! There's only a very few of those leaves that are brittle. I think they must have been right in the line of fire while they were in the car for a full day in the sun. Even the ones that look all brown are not brittle at all. But what I didn't spot at the nursery was this nasty black branch. Anything above that appears to be history. Where it branches off to the left also doesn't look well.

IMG_5586.JPG

On top of that branch to the left it's like this.

IMG_5587.JPG

Most other parts are like this, and are not brittle at all.

IMG_5588.JPG

This greenish growth I'm not sure about. It is soft, of course, just doesn't look that healthy.

IMG_5590.JPG

zfrittz likes this.
  9. Acerholic

It doesn't look too happy Keith. If it was mine I would do the same, remove to a shaded area, but I would defoliate it leaving the petioles on. Give it a drink, but 'not' too much and then wait for the second flush.
    It does look like the heat got to those first leaves when you brought it home in your car. So there is a chance for it if kept in the shade.
    Don't try and fertilise etc as this will create more stress.

D

Xi-feng, Lisa Harry and Keith Elliott like this.
  10. Keith Elliott

Thanks. Do I remove that black branch?

11. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Yes, cut into healthy wood a little way below the black. Sango kaku always gets a few branches like this, it goes with the territory.

As for the leaves, I would "leave" them alone. If they do go crispy by all means defoliate, but if just discoloured I would wait. The tree is quite capable of shedding them if need be.

And agree about keeping in the shade,

Xi-feng and Keith Elliott like this.
  12. Keith Elliott

Many thanks! The large majority of the leaves are just badly discoloured, not crispy at all.

Lisa Harry likes this.
  13. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

You might still lose those leaves, they might have had lethal sun/heat in the car, but the tree should hopefully be able to recycle the sugars etc, just as it does in fall, hence the colour change..

Keith Elliott and Lisa Harry like this.
  14. Keith Elliott

Thank you again! I'm actually going to take photos of it about every two or three days to see if I can spot any difference in the leaves. If I had to rely on my terrible memory, my enthusiasm would always think it was getting better!

Lisa Harry likes this.
  15. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

They say apples dont fall far from the tree.. this little fella took some careful extraction just now!

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

Definatly Keith and everything M @maf said I agree with. As far as defoloiating is concerned, some do and some don't. They will fall anyway in the next week or so I'm pretty sure of that tbh. Heat stress does make them go crispy in the end.

D

Keith Elliott likes this.
  17. Keith Elliott

Thank you. I will get a handle on all this stuff in due course. Maybe I had better start reading my Vertrees again! It has been at least 8 or 9 years, after all.

18. Acerholic

I never go a day without thumbing through my Vertrees over a cup of coffee. But perhaps now you are starting a Japanese Garden once again you will also Keith. The trouble is seeing yet another maple you want to buy, lol.

D

Keith Elliott likes this.
  19. Acerholic

Good morning everyone, well it's dryer here today and getting warmer.
    Yesterday I had my regular order of topsoil delivered and was putting it in my garden very late last night. So I post these sat in my garden a few minutes ago aching from head to toe. Lol.
    Anne Irene 277.JPG Aureum 277.JPG Wilsons pink dwarf 277.JPG Johin 277.JPG Matsukaze 277.JPG Shishio improved 277.JPG
    Orange Dream 277.JPG Wills Devine 277.JPG Viridis 277.JPG Kasagiyama 277.JPG Mystic Jewel 277.JPG

They are, Anne Irene, Aureum, Wilsons pink dwarf, Johin, Matsukaze, Shishio Improved, Orange Dream, Wills Devine,Viridis, Kasagiyama and Mystic Jewel.

20. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Higasayama - Interesting, 1st flush new growth is plain..I gather this turns variegated next year..2nd flush is quite different pink/green variegation.

Attached Files:

21. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

My trees (and I) are enjoying the traditional Dutch summer; some sun, some rain and not to warm. It should at least stay like this for the coming 2 weeks hopefully. Pictures are of Orange dream, Mikawa, Shirazz(photo 1), Sensu, Corallinum, Indian summer, Ojishi, Watnong, Autumn moon, Kamagata, Oregon sunset and Shishigashira.

Attached Files:

22. Acerholic

Love your Indian Summer M.

MapleMO likes this.
  23. Keith Elliott

Isn't that just the truth! But fortunately for me, there is only limited space, so at some point I shall have to be satisfied with what I have.

Acerholic likes this.
  24. Acerholic

Oh how I've said that to myself over the years.... And yet another comes along. Acerholic name is there for a very good reason, lol.

D

Keith Elliott and Lisa Harry like this.
  25. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

A few cool seedlings -

Acer oliverianum seedlings
    20210623_233116.jpg

Unknown dissectum seedling - I doubt it will live
    20210623_232939.jpg

Seedling from Acer japonicum 'Aconitifolium' - some are definitely hybrids
    20210623_232851.jpg

20210623_232838.jpg

20210623_232825.jpg

20210623_232811.jpg

20210623_232804.jpg

20210623_232740.jpg

Seedling from a 'Sango Kaku'
    20210623_174549.jpg

'Ryusei' seedling - I'll be staking it soon
    20210623_174533.jpg

Mixed seedlings from 'Burgundy Lace', unknown dissectums, and unknown semi dwarf variety planted in the early 80s.

20210621_171000.jpg

20210621_171121.jpg

20210621_171058.jpg

Attached Files: