Cherry tree fert

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by FrCDNgrl, Mar 15, 2006.

1. FrCDNgrl

FrCDNgrl Member

I live on Vancouver Island. I live in a house where it used to be a farm. Im wanting to plant a flowering cherry tree, also some blueberry bushes. I am looking to find out what exact soil ferts I should use.

Merci

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

As always, sample your soil and have it tested. Soils vary. No way to have more than the most general idea what might be appropriate for your particular site without a soil test.

3. leilastar

leilastar Member

yes, a soil test is a good measure, but there are some nutritional requirements of blueberies and cherries that you can be aware of. Assuming that they are mature plants, you want to follow the nutritional steps that will support proper blooming of the flowers. flowers turn into fruit so supporting healthy flowering means that you will in turn have healthy fruits. Blueberries are slightly more sensitive to overfertilization. Altough they have the same nutritional requirements, the quantity differs. I recommend that you use a fertilizer called healthy harvest. Pick the one that is low in nitrogen and higher in potassium and phosphorous. healthy harvest comes in various nutritional formulations, pick one that has the macronutrients to support your crops requirements. They are all excellent, I use them on all my outdoor crops.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2006
  4. FrCDNgrl

FrCDNgrl Member

Well the cherry tree has been planted for about a month now, and the 2 blueberries have been about 3 weeks. The blueberries are only about 2' tall, not big yet. Now that they are in the ground, what should be my next course of action?

PS: thank you very much for the info Ron & leila :)

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

6. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years