Apple Trees?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Cadillacistic, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Cadillacistic

Cadillacistic Member

I have two apple trees in my backyard, What should i spray on them and also, i am not sure if anything was done to them last year. I read that it's best to spray them when they are dormant, and also before they bloom. Is that right? and is it even worth spraying them if they were not sprayed during the dormant season? Thanks for anyhelp. K

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Always identify specific pest problem and apply appropriate chemical at correct time. For local guidance try your state Cooperative Extension.

3. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

I am pestered by tent catapillars, Lime sulfur is the only thing I spray my orchard with.
    Carol JA

4. JasonRemy

JasonRemy Member

My experience is that first you have to identify what you're protecting the trees from. Also, what type of apple trees do you have? I've found that certain types of fruit trees or plants can only take limited amounts or types of chemicals.

5. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

If your looking to spray for plant health, then fixed copper in the fall and lime sulphur in the later winter, will help keep apple trees healthy. I don't think these products are considered toxic in any serious manner. Deep root fertilizing is also good for plant health. A healthy tree will have a greater chance of fighting off bacterial blights {die back}. Out here on the wet coast, these sprays can make a huge difference in keeping your fruit trees healthy. As for pest insects, if there only eating the foliage, then there usually nothing to worry about. Most only have a short span that they're doing damage. If you have a pest that is effecting your fruit, you may want to look into what it is. If your getting a lot of rust on your fruit, then there are a few fungicides availible to coat the fruit with early in the season. Be sure to find the days to harvest on the label before applying anything to your fruit. I know most people hate spraying,, but I just thought I'd share a little info. If Evansville USA is on the east coast then I really don't know what are common problems there. Call a local tree spraying company who deal with common disease, fungi, and pest in your area on a regular basis. Jim.