Appreciation: Acer palmatum 'Atropurpureum'

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I would not normally do this, but I wanted to point out the beauty of an old variety. Acer palmatum Atropurpureum, Photo taken on 2nd September 2020.
    There are so many questions on the forum about what is the best red maple all Summer. Well IMO this one is up there with the best.
    Keep it in full sun and it will never disappoint.

Attached Files:

2. Mani

Mani Active Member

I'm not sure why you wouldn't do this but I'm glad you have!

You've a real cracker!

Not all Atropurpureums are born the same but you've got a good'un there! :)

Acerholic likes this.
  3. Acerholic

@Mani Thanks Mani. Glad you liked it.

4. kbguess

kbguess Rising Contributor 10 Years

Is 'Atropurpureum' a cultivar? I have always considered red-leaved A palmatum as atropurpurem

5. Acerholic

@kbguess good afternoon Keith, lots of ambiguity over this, but as the original was lost some time ago and there have been seedlings given this name and 'cultivated' as such for many years, then IMO it is a cultivar. Definition of cultivar is 'A plant variety that has been produced in cultivation by selective breeding.
    Acer palmatum Atropurpureum comes under this heading in my opinion, but not everyone's.
    It comes under Maple Society group 2. Btw.
    Wikipedia states, it is a popular red-foliaged cultivar that includes 'Atropurpureum' and 'Bloodgood'.
    But I agree that there continues to be the argument about a cultivar or not. It is definatly not a grafted variety.