Vancouver pruner

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by soccerdad, Aug 26, 2020.

1. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

I have let two apple trees grow for a few years without pruning and they are now so high that I probably should have someone else prune them. SWMBO certainly thinks so.

I don't ask for recommendations as to specific people or companies, which I think are not allowed here anyway, but is this something for which I want an arborist? A horticulturalst? A regular lawn-maintenance company?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

How tall?

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@soccerdad good afternoon, photos would help??

4. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

Probably 18-20' tall to the top of the highest branch but I would prefer to have them end up no more than, say, 12' tall.

5. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

If that much top growth is removed in one pruning, any parts of the trunk and main branches that become exposed to the sun should be protected with white latex paint or something similar. Removing smaller amounts each year over several years may avoid problems with sunscald.

6. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

My rule of thumb for pruning any tree in my garden is 20% only at a time. Perhaps a little more in February. So if it is that big, as vitog suggests, perhaps carry this out over a couple of years.

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Older apple trees that are well beyond their formative years - as these particular examples will be - are best handled by selective removal of a percentage of entire, comparatively played out looking branches over a period of years. Rather than arbitrarily cutting the entire specimen off at the same level all the way across in one go.