Questions about moss

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Amadeus, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Amadeus

Amadeus Member

Hi there!
    A few weeks ago I bought a house on Port Coquitlam with a large yard!
    I didn't pay much attention on it until I got the keys and I noticed the lawn is 75% covered by moss.
    Can anyone give me some advices or links on web on how to get rid off moss?
    It's possible to do it myself or I should hire a lawn care company?
    Thank you very much

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

On the topic of moss control, here's a search on the forums for [SEARCH]moss lawn[/SEARCH] - much has been said already.

3. Amadeus

Amadeus Member

thank you very much for link, Daniel!
    I saw I have to use a dethatcher. I have searched on google but I didn't find where can I find one. Do you have any idea?
    Thanks again! This forum is great!

4. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Amadeus,

Congratulations on your new home! You should be able to rent a dethacher from an equipment rental store.

Newt

5. Cakes

Cakes Member

Dethatching can be done with a sturdy rake.

or a bunch of dancing in golf shoes.

maybe throw a barbeque for the neighborhood sports team and tell them to wear their cleats.

Moss is made dormant by lack of water and some can be killed by high heat. A tarp for a day or two when it is hot and shiney outside might help a lot. But three days or more under a hot tarp might kill the grass too.

mild soap sprays might help dissicate it also and it would feed your lawn. Feeding your lawn might kill the moss too if you use a high nitrogen fertilizer. Moss can only take a little fertilizing sometimes.

or you could join in and go Bonsaii! maybe a koi pond or a fountain or dry stream beds. Stautes, "meditation rocks", lanterns, benches, sand gardens, driftwood, bridges - there's alot more than that to some of those places..

and no mowing.