What to plant with Japanese maple and Birch

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by sooz, Nov 14, 2003.

1. sooz

sooz Member

Hello,

We have a large concrete planter bed (approx 3 metres by 1 metre) with a 25 year old Japanese maple in it and other less desirable plants. I'd like to keep the maple and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of what to plant with maple that would be low maintenance? Deciduous or evergreen will do. Something to compliment the maple.

Also, we have several large birch trees (bright white bark) planted in front of our condo. What could I plant around the base of the tree that would compliment the bark?

Thanks!!

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Around the Birch you may consider:Pieris japonica "Mountain Fire", or "Forest Flame" they both have good show all year round with either foliage, flowers or small fruit/seed pods. Deep coloured Heuchera may also be a good choice.

3. pwhusband@shaw.ca

pwhusband@shaw.ca Member

Hello; I use flowering maple under or near my Japanese maple because it likes the partial shade and is very pretty.However you need to grow in a container so that you can bring it in when cold weather approaches. here is a picture--( if I was successful at attaching!)

Attached Files: