Identification: (Strange) Less than year old Citrus seedling flowering

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Xisbi, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Xisbi

Xisbi New Member

Last year around November, I planted allot of citrus seeds indoors, hoping to get a one good citrus bonsai. Most died, only about 4 remained, yesterday I noticed one of them had a flower at the tip.. The tree is so small, little bit taller than my middle finger with small stem and is the smallest of all of them. I was shocked and still am shocked! is this normal? I am sure it will not turn to fruit since it is a single flower, but still unusual, I read citrus flower at around 5 year old, this tree is so small, only few inches taller than my middle finger. I will post pictures when it stops raining and post them maybe today or tomorrow, and for those that will question if this a cutting, NO it is from seed. Did this happen to any of you before?

2. Will B

Will B Active Member

Certainly seems unusual to me. I have grown 50+ citrus from seed and none has done that, although I have had some oddities. It normally takes 7-10 years for a seedling to produce fruit. Many citrus do not need pollination, so having one flower does not mean it will not bear fruit. However, it is probably not a good idea to let such a young plant produce a fruit as it takes a lot of nutrients to grow a fruit. Best of luck on your unusual seedling, and keep us posted! Please do post photos, especially close-ups of the flowers and any fruit.

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

4. Xisbi

Xisbi New Member

I managed to take some pictures

Attached Files:

5. Xisbi

Xisbi New Member

pollinated the seedling, could be key lime or mandarin, not sure.. just curious if this small thing can hold fruit and what kind fruit it will be since citrus are hybrid and the seedling could be anything or something

Attached Files:

6. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

It may be a grapefruit seedling, judging by the size of petiole. Even though the flower itself may be fertile I doubt such a small tree can sustain a fruit to its maturity; it just doesn't have sufficient root and leaf mass to support it.

7. Xisbi

Xisbi New Member

It would be weird if it ripened