Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@dicky5ash, Hippopotering are doing these at good prices R . Small but you know they are quality with them.

dicky5ash likes this.
  2. BlackMaple

BlackMaple Member

Oh wow 50cm, guess that tree is much bigger than it looks in the picture. Agreed that glazed is much nicer, but at that size the weight would be conisderable. Thanks for the reference. This one looks very good for it's price. In fact I've not seen anything comparable around here in the german region. A nice, practial form. You can pull the tree out easily and it even comes with handles. Going to order one right away, looks like the postage from UK will be the biggest issue..

3. monicasanchez

monicasanchez Active Member Maple Society

Mallorca, Spain (38ºC maximum/-2ºC minimum)
    Hi! I share some photos of my garden, and Japanese maples (Seyriu and Katsura). "Enjoying" the first heat wave. 36 degrees centigrade.

20200725_123221.jpg 20200725_123342.jpg 20200725_123459.jpg 20200725_123527.jpg

AlainK, clorgan, dicky5ash and 2 others like this.
  4. Acerholic

@monicasanchez, good morning Monica 36° ouch.
    Your doing brilliantly in that heat. Lovely photos.
    I will post some of mine taken a few minutes ago in the rain. 18° C here atm.

monicasanchez likes this.
  5. Acerholic

After hearing about @monicasanchez Monica' s heat in Mallorca, here are a few of my dissectums, as this was also the topic on another thread this morning by A @sun.
    My maples are enjoying the cooler weather but is the heat coming next week !!!??

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    AlainK, dangerine49, clorgan and 3 others like this.
  6. Acerholic

A few more Dissectum's from me this morning. Two Ornatum' s as they were looking nice and I couldn't decide which one to post and the last two 'Seiryu' for Monica @monicasanchez.
    If anybody is suffering from extreme heat, I hope my photos this morning will help 'just a little'.

Attached Files:

sun, AlainK, dangerine49 and 4 others like this.
  7. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Welcome to the forum @sun. Beautiful trees you have. I would love to see pics of your recently bought ones as well.

8. monicasanchez

monicasanchez Active Member Maple Society

Mallorca, Spain (38ºC maximum/-2ºC minimum)
    Acerholic, the climate there is very different to which have here. Just looking at the photos comes the feeling of freshness hehe. Thanks. Spectacular trees!

9. sun

sun Active Member

Hi Acerholic and LoverofMaples!
    I just made pictures of the other maples:

First the new ones from this year:

Mikawa Yastsubusa

20200724_180303.jpg 20200724_180250.jpg

it is one of my favorites, the stem looks like the spiral shape of DNA, and it is cheeky like a small green monster, absolute no scorch in full sun.

right beside Jordan, which was already a bit scorched when I bought it, it`s a bit more now, I hope you are going to tell me that it will get accustomed in the next years, as it is in the soil now and not in a small pot.?

20200724_180129.jpg 20200724_180228.jpg

Then there is Seiyru, I wanted it to form a bit of an umbrella later, that`s why I pruned the smaller branches coming out of the 3 main branches. I did it about 3 weeks ago. I have never done any pruning before, so I hope I didn`t make any irreversible mistakes by doing that, but right now it seems to be quite happy, also no scorch in full sun...

20200724_180401.jpg 20200724_180351.jpg

Then there is Orange Dream, it came in April, I love it, although it is a bit scorched, it gets a sun break between 1 and 4 p.m.

20200724_180406.jpg 20200724_180428.jpg

Then there is Spring Delight, it came six weeks ago, full sun, I protected it with an umbrella during lunchtime for some weeks, but realized then he is fine without.

20200724_180552.jpg 20200724_180519.jpg

Next to it his red brother Garnet, they came together into our family. This is the tree that I bought because I wanted another one of the bright red Dissectum that I showed you at the beginning of the thread. I also protected it first, but it also seems to be quite happy.

20200724_180602.jpg 20200724_180651.jpg

I think one can only upload 12 pictures, the rest is coming

Attached Files:

AlainK, dangerine49 and Acerholic like this.
  10. sun

sun Active Member

Oh, now some of the fotos were posted without the text...

So, forget the last 6 attached files

in our atrium there is another Orange Dream which has no designated place yet

20200725_132936.jpg

Next to it there is Ruby Stars, I think it looks lovely in spring when the new growth is red, but it is only nice from close up and I am still thinking about where to put it.

20200725_132950.jpg

Then there are 2 Ryu Seis, which I want to raise to form Columns of about 2 metres, I hope it workd out.

One is standing in full sun and is a bit scorched.

20200725_132917.jpg

The other one gets more shade shortly after lunchtime. and has less scorch.

20200725_132930.jpg

I think the white wall behind them aggrvate the sun and the heat. Of course the small opening of 45 x 45 cm is far from ideal as well, but we had 2 huge rose bushes in these places before, so I thought it`s worth a try.

Then there are my " adult" maples:

Red Emperor

20200724_181218.jpg

Enkan, he is bright red in spring, then gets a bit of green as well in summer and then gets bright red once again in fall.

20200724_181250.jpg 20200724_181300.jpg

and Acer Griseum, which I really love because of his bark and his bright orange fall colour.

20200724_181321.jpg

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

@sun, good afternoon A. Just to let your know if you want to draw attention to a particular member just put the @ in front of their profile name. That will alert the member that you have posted something they are interested in on that thread.
    Your maples and your garden are delightful. I see you are zone 7b, near perfect for maples IMO.
    I love your Griseum, perfectly placed to see the amazing bark everytime you cross the bridge. Red Emperor is certainly a stand out tree. Looks amazing next to your Mikawa Yatsubusa.
    Do not worry about Orange dream, every maple enthusiast has the same problem with this one the world over, lol
    Just a footnote, as this is an ID of your dissectum thread. perhaps your mixed photos would be seen more on the cheering ourselves up with maples thread ?
    I can move the two posts for you if you would like me to.

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  12. Acerholic

@monicasanchez, glad it has Monica. And thanks for the kind words as always.

monicasanchez likes this.
  13. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Analysis was supposed to say ‘and we’

14. Acerholic

@Luke’s Maples, good afternoon Luke, absolutely tipping it down here.
    Agreed, Pink Filigree Filigree Lace is more apt than the red. Austrian climate and clear air quality can also play a part in ID. Beautiful specimen though whichever one it is.

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  15. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

It sure is. Quite envious actually lol

16. Acerholic

@Luke’s Maples, yours will be looking like that in no time at all Luke.

It is great to see more people from more countries coming onto the forum. Some wonderful specimens out there.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  17. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Very lovely maples @sun. I also see those beautiful Coneflowers in the background.

Acerholic likes this.
  18. Acerholic

@LoverOfMaples, good eyes D, I only just made out the Echinacea at the back. I was too interested in the maples again. Agree with you fully, a lovely selection of JM. An excellent watering system around the garden also.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  19. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

They often do deals on the 50cm ones at national garden centres 2 for £25

20. dicky5ash

Very happy with today’s acquisition.. I went to a garden centre about 25miles away that often has a few uncommon JM and stumbled across them selling off XXL plastic tree pots for £5 each. I picked up 4 230litre pots, 180 litre pots, 2 130 litre pots and 2 75 litre pots.. bargain :)

Attached Files:

monicasanchez and Acerholic like this.
  21. Acerholic

@dicky5ash, you are right there R , a 'bargain'. The 230 ltr are going to be awfully heavy once filled !!

22. dicky5ash

I also had a mishap and bought 4 cultivars I haven’t got: 4 for £60, nice 2 foot trees

Emma
    Yasmin
    Jerre Schwartz
    Fire cracker

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

@dicky5ash whoops what a lovely mishap to have, very nice indeed R.

24. dicky5ash

Thanks D, I looked on Pat’a website A few weeks ago having been very impressed by your ghost trees but they are all out of stock

25. Acerholic

@dicky5ash, hopefully Hippo will have some ready in September. The ghosts are getting very popular. Perhaps click the tab to say notify me when available. ( just add your email). I've done this a couple of times with Hippopotering and they notified me and I got the trees I wanted.

Where to place your new acquisitions from today next though R ?