Odd Lilac Flowers

Discussion in 'Plants: Science and Cultivation' started by Kris Wallin, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Kris Wallin

Kris Wallin New Member

I have a lilac in my yard that grows, what I believe is, odd flowers. But maybe not... thoughts?
    DE16752A-C676-48E5-932C-4917643B1671.jpeg EB4D63F2-995D-4347-AA62-B7FE5A981C35.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2020
    LoverOfMaples, Acerholic and togata57 like this.
  2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I think it's odd, yes. There is a blue-flowered rhododendron at the UBC Botanical Garden that I have noted puts out white flowers on a few of its branches. Must be some kind of minor genetic error in that area? I hope some one explains what is happening here, before I have to research it.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

All the time, or just the one inflorescence? In any case, it is a mutation early in bud development (at the time when the protobud is dividing from 1 cell to 2).

4. Kris Wallin

Kris Wallin New Member

Every year on about 40 % of the flowers. It’s actually pretty cool. I think I’ll try to take some plants off of it and see if they are the same

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  5. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I agree that this is pretty cool. Not only are flower clusters half white and half purple but individual flowers as well. Amazing!

Whether it's considered a horticultural asset or not, I'm sure there are many who would enjoy growing this anomaly.

Who knows, it could make you rich and famous!

6. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

They explained to me that it is a more frequent phenomenon than we think with stained/striated/variegated hybrids: in practice these hybrids have low genetic stability so they can produce even very different flowers (up to 5....) on the same plant being expressed one or more of the ancestral genetic characters. Sometimes the typical hybrid flowers are no longer produced, but only one or more different (sports).
    It happens every year to my Camellia Countess Lavinia maggi
    Camellia Contessa Lavinia Maggis particolare 2012.jpg Contessa Lavinia Maggi.jpg Lavinia Maggi.jpg
    Camelia Contessa lavinia maggi - Google Search

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  7. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

The things nature throws up, amazing. This type of 'Chance' in the maple world is seized upon to hopefully have a new cultivar. Great photos.

8. scilover

scilover Member

wow, this is amazing, while normal lilac blending color between purple and while. your lilac has two petals purple and two petals while.