British Columbia: Can this evergreen clematis be saved?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by tritonx, Apr 15, 2018.

1. tritonx

tritonx Active Member

This plant is 5 years old and has been turning brown for the last couple of years. I've cut away dead leaves and vines that seem dead. But this year it is much worse. I live in Sechelt, the back garden has N/E light and strong winds in storms. In the drought conditions of the last few summers, we come under strict watering restrictions and by the end of the summer, we're at level 4 (no watering at all). Needless to say, it's hard to keep things going with such lack of water other than what's in rain barrels. So, this plant's problem could be cold, could be drought, maybe disease. I'm planning to cut down all the dead and dying vines and wondering if there's any hope for the plant or should I just replace it? There is a strong new shoot from its base, but the leaves on it have black spots higher up. Second pic shows leaves on new shoot. The background leaves are from old vines.

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Well, if you don't mind having it in that space for another year, cut it back and see what it does. If it flourishes, you can likely eliminate disease as an issue. If not, I think you'll be able to eliminate drought (and then you would end up replacing it anyway, be it cold or disease).

3. tritonx

tritonx Active Member

Thanks for your reply, Daniel. Since it was a nice strong shoot coming up from the base, I decided to cut away the dead/dying debris (massive job, but determined woman). As I was cutting the old wood stems, I noticed green buds just barely emerging from nodes. If the plant can get over such a massive pruning, fingers crossed it survives and fills in the arbour again. I see other baby vines with leaves unfurling coming from the nodes of the survivor shoot, so looks promising so far.

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  4. tritonx

tritonx Active Member

Update on dying clematis. Fingers crossed still, but it's really trying hard to restore itself to glory. Although the end of the single shoot began to wither, there are a lot of fresh, new tendrils growing out from the main shoot. I am daring to have hope.

Attached Files:

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Thanks for letting us know. It seems to be doing very well.

6. Triton10

Triton10 New Member

Further update on dying clematis and kudos to the power of nature. Two years ago this clematis was down to one vine out of a massive superstructure of dead leaves that had to be removed. Not only has it recovered from this one vine, but it is now attempting to take over my crabapple tree and nine bark. Nonetheless, making a fabulous display.

Attached Files: