Looking for blackthorn branches

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Allen Fraser, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Allen Fraser

Allen Fraser New Member

Hey all! I'm inVancouver B.C.. I'm a wood carver and I've been looking for blackthorn branches to carve out some Irish Shillelaughs, as a request. Is there anywhere locally that I might be lucky to find such things?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Some Vancouver Island Prunus spinosa collection sites are mapped on the E-Flora BC web site. Search the site for the species and then click on the link to the map that comes up as part of its profile, click on the red dots to get collection site details. Enlarge your view to see there are pairs of overlapping dots close together, each dot representing a different collection.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    Allen Fraser likes this.
  3. pinenut

pinenut Active Member 10 Years

How traditional were you planning to be Allen? I just wikied Shillelagh and there seems to be a lot of curing and seasoning as opposed to carving. I bought mine in Ireland. I also bought P. spinosa seeds from Sandeman Seeds. OK germination, but I should have kept the seedlings inside. Might have one survivor...