Appreciation: 37 years; 120 maples; 1 back yard.

Discussion in 'Maples' started by togata57, May 14, 2019.

1. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Wow, indeed, with almost all the colour coming from trees and shrubs. Their expenditure seems comparatively modest over 22 years - I'm not sure what point the article was trying to make saying they had spent over £15,000. The aerial shot is interesting to see, as the other photos make the garden seem much larger.

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

They should be congratulated on their efforts. It's a wonderful garden. £15, 000 is easy to spend over 37 years. My wife and I have been collecting Acers for 41 years and we can fully understand where the money has gone. Surprised it's only that amount!!!

4. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I too am surprised by the amount. Prices have gone up exponentially over the past 10 years! Today 15K buying plants that size may only cover about 1/3 of the garden. I feel lucky to have started in 2004 as I could not afford to start at today's pricing. I have seen in my area prices increase 30-50% every year for the past 5 years. But the types of plants being used are much easier to get today. Before you really needed to seek them out from a variety of small specialty nurseries.

It's also interesting to see the evolution in plant choice and design over the years. Then once they find their footing with a focus in color and texture, mostly slow growing, and seasonal interest; their garden really takes off by sticking to their evolved style. Every garden tells a story when put together slowly over time.

A note to those starting out. To plant a garden like this you must understand what your growing, how to properly care for it, and most importantly you must understand pruning and how each individual grows. You need a love and commitment to maintenance. Spaced further apart gives you a better chance of success due to lower demands. Using the same plants in a larger space would actually be low maintenance. It's the spacing that calls for the increase in maintenance. You can have a big variety in a small space when using slow growing plants, but the lack of space for future growth demands maintenance and skill.

Very nice to see an updated story of their garden. The drone shots are giving us a very cool new perspective.

@togata57 Thanks for sharing!

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  5. Michigander

Michigander Active Member

Once again, the name of the game is maintenance. Municipalities plant stuff along the freeways by the $billions, but they don't have any idea (or budget for that matter) for how or what to take care of, so in a couple years it all looks like crap, they rip it out and do it again. I once attended a wedding in which a young man at my table and I had a conversation about horticulture. I had supplied a bonsai display and he was interested because he was a recent university graduate in Landscape Architecture. I was stunned when he told me that he had not had any classes having anything to do with plants. The school was an original Land Grant College and a prominent Ag college.

JT1 likes this.
  6. togata57

7. togata57

Cheering to learn that Tony, Marie, and their lovely garden are still going strong!

The couple have won several awards, including being crowned the winner of Alan Titchmarsh's Britain's Best Garden and Gardeners of the Year.
    They have also amassed an online following of over 17 million people on social media and will have opened up their garden publicly a total of 108 times....raised more than £52,000 for charity by opening up their garden to thousands of visitors from across the globe over the last 22 years.

An autumnal oasis! Couple's spectacular garden bursts into stunning colour with 3,000 plants | Daily Mail Online

Xi-feng, ChrisUk, maf and 4 others like this.