Lions head peeling bark

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Hobbzz, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Hobbzz

Hobbzz New Member

I've got a lions head japanese maple that I planted in spring. I noticed today that the bark on the trunk is peeling. I've tried researching with just Google searches but I can't find anything. Anyone have any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi Hobbzz, there have been several postings about very similar problems. The main consensus of opinion is that it is a deer or squirrel problem. Not sure what wild animals you have in Wisconsin but I think you should protect you tree with wire netting around the trunk from the ground up. Looking at your photo, if you get much more damage then you could very well lose the tree.

3. Hobbzz

Hobbzz New Member

Thanks for the quick response, I'll get some netting up tonight.

4. Hobbzz

Hobbzz New Member

Should I apply anything to the exposed portion? Like when making large in bonsai, although I can't remember the name of the product.

5. 0soyoung

0soyoung Rising Contributor

If it has been less than 24 hours, wrapping with plastic wrap (e.g., Saran) will do the job of keeping exposed cambium and residuals from desiccating. It only needs to be in place for about three weeks and can be removed.

If it has been more than 24 hours, no covering is going to make any real difference. The appearances in the pic indicate it has been well longer than 24 hours since this damage occurred. It will, nevertheless, eventually 'heal' - 5+ years and you'll never know.