Venus flytraps

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Dwayne, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Dwayne

Dwayne New Member

hello,

I was swimming out in mission area yesterday. Small secluded lake and I swam out to a log floating out near the far edge. Anyhow this log has a big patch of pink Venus flytraps growing on one end, they are healthy and beautiful!

Is this a rare find in BC? And if so I will gladly swim back out to take some pictures to share with you all..

I had no idea flytraps even grew in Canada!?

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Well, they're not supposed to occur here. I don't think we can comment any further until we see pictures, so sure, enjoy another swim and reply here with the photos.

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

We have native sundews but I've not heard of any flytraps. I'd like to see what you encountered.

4. Dwayne

Dwayne New Member

I will definitely go for a swim tomorrow, this log kinda floats around the lake but I will find it!

Post pictures tomorrow.

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

It's been a week, hope you are ok!

6. Dwayne

Dwayne New Member

Thanks for your concern, I apologize for the delay I got called back to work, drove over three thousand miles all over the USA..
    Anyhow I will be back tomorrow and this has been on my mind for a week! I just hope they are still okay..

I will share something in a couple days.

Daniel Mosquin and wcutler like this.
  7. Dwayne

Dwayne New Member

I had to swim across the lake but I found em!! And I know you guys are going to tell me they are Sunbursts.

But that’s okay, they are beautiful non the less. And very abundant here at Elbow lake

Attached Files:

togata57 and Junglekeeper like this.
  8. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

You're right in your second guess. I have no experience determining the ID of sundews, but I would expect this to be roundleaf sundew, Drosera rotundifolia. I'm sure someone will correct me if that's not right.
    The drawing on this page looks like it could have been done from your photo: E-Flora BC Atlas Page (drawing is on the Species Information tab).

9. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

It's a lovely patch, though. And their resilience is admirable.

10. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

What an incredible, beautiful log! Thank you, Dwayne for sharing your pictures of it. I hope that it will eventually come to rest against the shore where those lovely sundews will continue to prosper.