Fall color including Japanese maples featured on Garden Smart

Discussion in 'Maples' started by JT1, Jul 14, 2019.

1. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

This episode of Garden Smart visits Gibb's Garden. The focus is fall color. Time is spent discussing Japanese maples, specific cultivars, and other plants that offer fall interest:

May also be useful for those in the SE, specifically Georgia. But much of the information can be applied to any garden.

Information specific to this episode:
    GardenSmart :: EPISODES :: 2018 show48

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Thank you from two of us in the uk for posting this. What a wonderful garden. Will be keeping a look out for the book.

3. Daniel Wright

Daniel Wright Member

Jim has a lot of interesting insights in that video - selecting for texture contrast first is quite a surprise. I select for color and form contrast first, then texture.

The fall colors there are very impressive. Here in Raleigh they are not so much, even though it's the same climate. Some of my maples went straight to brown last fall. He said something about how the trees being on irrigation is what allows the great fall colors. Is that because the trees don't get scorched during summer droughts? Or just that they are not stressed during summer and that leads to good fall colors? I have so many questions. And how do you irrigate a garden the size of Gibbs garden??? (300+ acres).

I'll definitely be buying the book, thanks for sharing this John. I frequently feel overwhelmed by the scope of what I'm trying to accomplish in my property, which is tiny compared to the Gibbs garden. Hopefully I can get a chance to visit there soon.

4. Acerholic

Hi Jim, can I add a comment on watering, we have had the same problem with maples turning straight to brown in the Autumn. This happened back in the late seventies when we just started growing and collecting. We worked out that although the calendar says its Autumn (fall) you must continue irrigation until the leaves drop. Even during Winter during dry periods we give our trees a 'little' water. They don't need much as they are dormant. Our pots are given very little water and are placed in a covered area to avoid water logging and root rot. The Gibbs garden is a massive job to irrigate and I'm sure was laid out during planning period. I agree the book looks a great read, unfortunately we cannot get it in the UK. Just a footnote we carry out rain water harvesting, it makes such a difference during Summer droughts, our garden is watered regularly whereby our neighbours gardens are parched and brown. The initial outlay is a bit expensive but well worth the years of lovely Acers.

5. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Lots of good discussion!

@Acerholic I read you couldn't buy the book in UK. I can relate as I collect Japanese books and they can be hard to find, so I'm used to digging deeper. I found a link on the website to buy a signed book from the gift shop. This took me to a link to buy the book via PayPal. I selected UK and it said the vendor would contact with shipping options and price, but it seemed like it would go through.

Anyway not much of a risk taker so I wanted to make contact to get definitive answers not based on assumption. I called, but got recording saying email is best outside of business hours. Sent an email and hope to hear from them on Wednesday when they open. The book was (if I remember correctly, was earlier this morning) $34.95 plus shipping. As soon as I hear back, I will let you and any others know if it's shipped outside of the USA.

Anyone interested in the book can find the signed copy on this page. When you click on the book "place order here" link it opens a page to PayPal:

https://www.gibbsgardens.com/gift-store/

Don't know how long it will be available. Also note that I am in no way associated with this book. Just trying to be helpful to forum members who are interested in the signed copy. Any questions should be addressed via their website or:

EMAIL INQUIRIES
    • info@gibbsgardens.com
    • FYI although the Gardens are open on the weekends our Administration Office is closed — Please allow 24-48 hours for a response.

6. Acerholic

Thanks JT1, Will have a look .