Identification: Is this meant to be garden plant instead of an indoor plant?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Myzca, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Myzca

Myzca New Member

Am new to potting plants. My first mistake was that when I bought this I didn't make note of the name, and second I assumed it would be a good house plant. It is tremendously prolific. Even leaves that fall off sprout little replicas of the plant. But it also has been putting out the little root-like feelers everywhere which makes me think it wants to grow like ground cover. I've had it for 6 months now and it hasn't bloomed so I can so far say it has no flowers. I would like to put it where it can flourish if someone can tell me what it is/needs. Thanks!!

Attached Files:

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

It's some type of Kalanchoe. I was given a piece of this recently. I don't think it would grow outside here. Kalanchoe are tropical plants. They flower in warm climates. Mine is trying to root everywhere too, but a few other of my succulents do that as well.

Myzca likes this.
  3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

A pervasive problem with succulents being kept indoors in cold winter climates is inadequate light levels. If you put yours in a brighter window - as in south facing - or give it artificial light it will probably grow more densely.