Identification: Help ID lovely philodendron?

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by WistyFish, Apr 10, 2019.

1. WistyFish

WistyFish New Member

I ran into this stunning thing at a local greenhouse and I’m stumped. I’ve been searching forever and can’t figure it out. It looks like Philodendron Gloriosum, but it isn’t velvety. I’m in love with this plant and can’t figure out what it is! The employees tried to help, but the tag they had on it was eroded. It looked like it said “Anthurium Megrifrauni” but we weren’t sure it was even an anthurium as it really looks Philodenron to us. Help!

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

That site says "Philodendron pastazanum differs in having a peltate blade." These leaves are not peltate (with the stem attached inside the leaf margin). Philodendron swartiae seems really rare, something unlikely to be hanging around a local greenhouse. I agree that P. 'McDowell' looks similar, except for pointier leaf tips, but these plants are supposed to be variable. I don't know if that's true for a cultivar, though. Here's a photo.
    Philodendron‘McDowell’

I found an Anthurium plant list with species names beginning with M, a vowel and then a "g".:
    • Anthurium magnificum Linden
    • Anthurium magnifolium Croat & J.Rodr.Salvador
    • Anthurium maguirei A.D.Hawkes
    • Anthurium malagaense
    Here is the A. magnificum photo:
    File:Anthurium magnificum a2.jpg - Wikimedia Commons
    The leaf veining certainly looks quite different.

@WistyFish, does the plant you acquire have to be exactly the same? Unless you get a cultivar, the plants are variable anyway. If you have a few names of plants that look pretty close to what you liked, you might be able to find some place that carries one of them. Do you not like P. gloriosum? I had never heard of it before, but it looks beautiful. You don't like velvety? :)

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I should mention that there was an entry for Anthurium megapetiolatum. I guess the name suggests an anthurium that has a large size leaf stalk.

5. WistyFish

WistyFish New Member

Thanks @Junglekeeper and @wcutler I’m starting to lean towards getting a Gloriosum myself, but I was just so stinking curious! Someone else suggested that it’s a Gloriosum that just isn’t velvety due to growing conditions or age, I’ve never heard of that before, but *shrug*. McDowell looks VERY similar, and is a Gloriosum hybrid... I’d lean that way. I think I may have to resign myself to not ever knowing for sure. Tragic.

Now how much am I willing to shell out for a Gloriosum I do like velvet, but I also like keeping my money.