Maples Breaking Dormancy Early

Discussion in 'Maples' started by LoverOfMaples, Feb 22, 2019.

1. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Hello everyone! I need a little help. A few of my japanese maples are breaking dormancy and winter isn't close to being over. I've been keeping them in my unheated garage. Any advised would be helpful.

Thanks

*I live in Rhode Island, USA, zone 6. I also have a green house I can move them into if needed*

Attached Files:

emery likes this.
  2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hey, well I thought one of our knowledgeable people would chime in, but here's what I'd do.

Put them outside in the shade. At this point, unless they leaf out, they're pretty safe. Or if you get some extreme weather, move them into the greenhouse until it's over. Hopefully some cold will slow them down and bring them back onto a decent schedule.

If they're new to you, they've probably been kept in a greenhouse or aren't otherwise hardened, so don't let them freeze too hard.

Some people bring pots in and out every day this time of year. I have a couple of young A. fabri -- an evergreen maple -- that I think will really resent a hard freeze, so I've been bringing them in if it's more than a little frost.

I have a couple of grafts from NJ, a japonicum and a sieboldianum, that like to be very early, and the buds are almost burst. I think they miss that Jersey greenhouse life. They're in a shed now but in a few days when they really leaf out I'll have to start schlepping them in and out.

I'm not really an expert at keeping Japanese Maples in pots, so again hoping someone else will give you an opinion.

cheers, -E

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  3. LoverOfMaples

Yes, they are new to me and they came from Tennessee. I was doing some reading the other night and found exactly what you said to be exactly the case (graft maple from different climate may leaf early). Plus I went to the bonsai this pass weekend and found some maples doing the same as mind. I don't mind bring them in and out. I will try a few things and see what works best. Thank E

4. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

You're welcome, and also welcome to the forum! ;)

5. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

If they start to leaf out you can put them in a spare corner room preferably with SE exposure. Shut off the heating vent and keep the door closed to prevent the furnace from drying them out. Once the threat of frost and freezing temperatures pass, transition to bright shade outside for two weeks. After two weeks slowly transition to some sun exposure slowly every few days until sun exposure is the same as the place you intend on keeping the maple.

Every soil mix is different and home atmosphere is different. In my home environment and soil mix I tend to water every 3-4 days inside when the tree has leafed out. Giving it a thorough watering in the kitchen sink or utility sink. Have pot tilted at an angle towards a bottom drain hole for 30 minutes. Again this watering frequency is in a room that has the HVAC vent closed and the door closed. Make sure you place something under the pot to prevent moisture from damaging the surface. I put the tree in the room where it gets sun from each exposure as the sun moves across the sky through out the morning. Don't just put it directly in front of one window or move it around throughout the day. Find that sweet spot where it gets changing exposure from one window to the other.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  6. LoverOfMaples

We hardly ever use the upstairs bed rooms nor turn the heat on. The temperature stay around 57 to 65 naturally. One room gets morning and a little afternoon sun and the other room gets some even sun. My soil mix consist of small pine bark chip, perlite, and organic compost. It's a pretty well draining mix.
    Thanks TJ. I appreciate the info.

7. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Im glad tothear you do and thank you for the feedback. I forgot to mention above that after watering turn the tree 180 degrees, so that it grows more uniform. Again this would be done every few days. Otherwise the back side may get weak or grow very long and into itself trying to reach the sunlight.

Best of luck to you and your new tree!

8. Castor

Castor Active Member

954FDB6A-2AFA-4EB4-B2F9-31C31A360372.jpeg 8FCA54B3-97A4-46B8-A926-ACDC2AF81236.jpeg 863F392F-87AF-4315-8D7D-DE23CF45CCC7.jpeg I live in the southeast ,zone 7b and several of my potted maples are breaking dormancy. Got some colder temperatures forecasted for the next couple of days and i’m Hoping they’ll be ok.

9. LoverOfMaples

I understand how you feel. We are suppose to be in the teens most of the week at night here. Good luck.