Fast growing privacy screen

Discussion in 'Small Space Gardening' started by Lunar, May 23, 2005.

1. petauridae

petauridae Active Member

Thanks. I was looking at this vine just this morning (!) in my AHS gardening book and wondering if it would work.

As an additional note: I need to cover about 16-18' or so.

2. sallee

sallee Member

DO NOT plant spreading bamboo. We bought our house 20 years ago and there was a small patch. We've been fighting it ever since. It has grown into my neighbor's yard and into the utility easement behind my house. We finally broke down and hired a man with a trackhoe to dig it up. Almost $4,000 and he can't guarantee he got all the roots. Plus another almost $3,000 for a new fence which he had to tear down. This was about a month ago, and we are still digging sprouts every weekend.

3. petauridae

petauridae Active Member

Bamboo doesn't grow to well here--too dry.

4. annieb

annieb Member

I have the same problem but can only grow plants in pots as we have a sportscourt at the offending side where the deck is and would need 24-30 feet to solve the problem. The other option would be to grow bamboo hedges around specific areas but again its all concrete can anyone suggest the type of bamboo that would grow to 12 feet quickly and in what type of pots.

Thanks you so much and I hope you resolve your own problem, I was so upset that I wanted to move out but decided to stick it out and find a solution, hope someone can help

Annieb

5. petauridae

petauridae Active Member

I, too, am interested in potentially growing some plants--in this case, evergreens--in pots. How much of a height/width difference from in-ground can I expect?

As per your question, Annieb: Timber bamboo such as Semiarundinaria may be a good choice. 30-mil plastic should contain it.

6. annieb

annieb Member

Great thanks I'm getting bids from landscapers which are so high costly I have to work this out myself, any additional information I get I'll pass on.

Thanks

7. petauridae

petauridae Active Member

Well, I was wrong...after consulting some bamboo vendors, I have decided to buy some timber bamboo: Phyllostachys atrovaginata (previously P. congesta). In my zone it will grow (dry apparently isn't a problem) and if contained by a barrier will not spread wildly. So, I pulled the trigger today!

8. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

All Phyllostachys species and bamboo in general need a reasonable amount of moisture during the growing season. Mine suffer on the coast if not watered regularly in summer.

Cheers, LPN.

9. petauridae

petauridae Active Member

I'll keep that in mind. I plan to upgrade my irrigation on that side of my yard to accomodate the new acquisition.

10. Barcaldine Beaver

Barcaldine Beaver Member

Neighbours.......Same problem here in Scotland, we sold the neighbouring plot with some restrictions on extensions and build area. Then the government changed the law! So neighbours now doubling size and height of house. Can have cold icy spells in winter but mostly wet riverside and on edge of ubiquitous norway spruce forest. Soil not great - the idea of bamboos apeal as I already have lots of rhodedendron and azaela. Are the running really that invasive - as Iam also lazy! Plenty sun (when we get it) as south facing boundary. suggestions and varieties greatly appreciated.

11. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Try growing (Phyllostachys bambusoides) timber bamboo, beautiful/graceful/very tall/10-15m++++ best grove of northerly bamboo !

12. Perfect Plants Nursery

Perfect Plants Nursery New Member