Memorial Tree selection ideas

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Brockstar, May 17, 2016.

1. Brockstar

Brockstar Member

I have been tasked with finding a suitable memorial tree for an irrigated area. They have specified that they would like something columnar and that holds it's leaves later into the fall(end of October at least).

I would appreciate your suggestions. I am on Vancouver Island. Thanks in advance.

2. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Perhaps a columnar Gingko: 'fastigiata' would hold it's golden autumn leaves through the Fall.

3. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    what a nice idea -
    I realize I am a few weeks late to this conversation -
    firstly -
    I hope that there are no septic systems and natural gas lines etc nearby

I know of a private home on eastern Vanc Island (can see some Gulf Islands) that has good success with
    1. Katsura tree (very pretty) - I think it came from Dinters on the Highway south of Duncan, near Mill Bay.
    2. good old native Vine Maples (also lovely, and smaller and pretty year-round) - Acer circinatum - this is one of my favourites as once it is established, it can deal with the SW BC summer droughts. And this one needs NO pruning (or easy for a person to do and put in a flower arrangement or Xmas type arrangement)

Here is an article from Vancouver Sun from a few years ago - shows the Katsura
    Ten best trees for your garden

EDIT to add - if you need to see a full-grown example, there used to be a well-established ginkgo tree in Ladysmith - on the ocean side of the highway just NORTH of the turn-off to SaltAir. I think the road is called "Transfer Beach" - it should cross the old E&N rail tracks. I think it used to be a logging company head-office (Crown Z?) --- in any event, the leaves are very distinct.