Ponytail palm

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Victor Pavamani, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Victor Pavamani

Victor Pavamani New Member

I have a ponytail palm that I bought from a nursery about 30 years ago. Over the last 2-4 years, the leaves have lost the curving feature at the top; instead, they bend downward at an acute angle. Now I am tempted to call it a drooping or weeping pony tail palm! Does anyone have any suggestions why this may be. I was wondering if it had reached the end of its life.

2. T311

T311 Member

That is interesting will you post some pictures?

3. Victor Pavamani

Thanks for your interest. Here's a photo of my "weeping" pony tail plant! Thanks, Victor Pavamani

Attached Files:

4. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Victor, I see your first post was a couple of months ago. Your pony tail palm looks to me as if it isn't being neglected enough. Keep it well-drained, dry, and sunny, and hold off on fertilizer a bit. In south Florida, they are usually in sand and coral or shell, and not near any vibrant lawn or water loving shrubs. I'm guessing yours needs the rigors of desert isle life to perk up a bit and get stiffer leaves. The leaves would also be a bit shorter, but I haven't grown one in years.

5. T311

T311 Member

That looks nice, maybe take a little more of the caudex farther out of the soil. I cant tell very well from the pic how far it is out already. To me it looks fairly healthy some of the new leaves look a little pale but not bad (I am guessing that could indicate to much water as well) I have never had one of these though. Let us know what works. : )

6. Victor Pavamani

Thanks. I shall see how things go. I water only once a month. I will reduce that and see.