Even earlier this year

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Houzi, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

Hardly surprising,a little worrying,but always nice to see.

Attached Files:

2. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Now you're making me jealous!!!! :) In addition to the 6" we got a week ago, we just got another couple inches of snow overnight, chance of a bit more later today, and we're sitting at a balmy 10F, -5F with windchill... I am SO done with winter already... Which cultivar is that? Last I checked my potted trees, with the exception of the tip of my Usugumo, they all looked pretty good, but we've had so much cold, and for such extended periods this winter, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything makes it.

3. Christophe

Christophe Active Member

The same for me, some of my acers in pot are close to bud (Wilson's pink dwarf, Jordan ...) I hope it won't freeze !

4. Houzi

Don't be jealous Andrea,in a few short weeks I will envy your climate for the rest of the year...though I'm not sure I could stand your winters,let alone the plants!
    Always the first to leaf out,it's supposedly a 'Katsura' on it's own roots but I'm not totally 100% convinced.However it's been a trouble free healthy grower.
    Yes Cirque,I'm surprised at how our climates have mirrored eachother this winter.Here's hoping you don't get your usual freeze this time :)

5. maplesandpaws

I think it was three years ago now, but we had a very early spring too - my first maple started leafing out mid-February (I want to say it was Wilson's Pink Dwarf), with several others following suit in early March and so on... I don't think you would envy our climate come summer though - not last year, but the previous two years we had over 50 days of temps 100F or hotter between June and September. Add to that the typical Kansas wind (15mph or more, usually 20-30mph) and humidity, and it can be quite the grueling time. Plus, next to no rain during that time either. Between that and winter, it can be rather challenging to grow maples here. :)

6. Houzi

Hmm,maybe you're right Andrea,I don't much fancy 100 degrees either.Although our weather often gets us down,often hardly having a summer to speak of,we shoot off to sunnier climes...but holidays are different,usually in&out of water,drinking a lot and relaxing.To live and work in the heat must be a different kettle of fish.
    I'll stop moaning about it from now on(well maybe)and accept we all have our obstacles,but share a common interest,and to see the results of everyones efforts will always be a pleasure :)

7. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Houzi, your pics make me very, very nervous... Here we are the 11/2... It's possible there won't be a freeze, but that would be very unusual. Keeping fingers crossed!

8. Schattenfreude

Schattenfreude Active Member

Katsura tends to be my first tree to wake up, too. I'd say I'm at least 4-5 weeks away from seeing mine wake up, possibly even longer given the brutal winter temps. Thanks for making us all green with envy, Houzi! I hope you can keep the frost at bay :-)

Andrea, are any of your buds starting to swell yet? Done any root-pruning yet?

Kevin in KC

9. maplesandpaws

Just checked on all my trees in the back, planted and in pots under the deck. Surprisingly - and pleasantly - they all look pretty good, given the terribly cold winter we've had. Buds all look nicely plump and healthy, bark looks good, even my Usugumo, which is the one that looked like it might have some tip die-back, looks pretty good. All in all, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they all remain healthy and vigorous come spring and leaf-out. :)

10. Houzi

With you on that one Emery,though a serious freeze here is never likely,I'll have to 'run the gauntlet' with the frosts as usual.Every year I get through by the skin of my teeth but it is exceptionally early this year.
    Yes Kevin,Katsura is a well known early-bird so I thought I'd best check on my Koto Hime(another early one)..and blow me it's already leafing out DAMMIT!...looks like Oridono Nishiki's next.Well I'm not going to fret over them any more,they'll survive but never learn HA.Hope your trees make it through the bad winter and glad things look promising for you too Andrea....spring is coming :)