raised beds for veggies on grub-infested lawn

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Pocoveggie, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Pocoveggie

Pocoveggie Member

I want to put in two or three small (4'X4') raised beds for vegetables on a lawn that has in the past month been torn up by crows. I assume the crows are digging up grubs. Might be skunks too, as we live in PoCo and certainly have them and raccoons around. I dont mind the grubs or the havoc on the lawn, as i am not much into lawns (I cut it and pull weeds) and my feeling is the grubs will go away eventually, so I am not going to use anything chemical to control them. My questions: is it wise or foolish to put a couple of raised beds on top of this lawn? Will the grubs migrate up into the veggie beds? Can I put something down to line the beds, like cardboard, that would block the grubs moving in? The beds will be on a sloping lawn and about one foot high at the back and two feet high at the front.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Maybe you have European crane-fly, it seems to me this is associated with excessive dampness of the soil. Since your new beds are to be raised they will probably not have this problem, especially if you fill them with well-aerated topsoil such as might be sold as being suitable for vegetable beds. The main thing is to put them in a level, sunny area that is convenient to the kitchen, preferably also one that is sheltered from cold winds out of the North. If there is no protection on the site now consider installing fencing or hedging to provide it in future. If deer, rabbits or racoons have access to the site you should also think about fencing these out. You also do not want house cats to be able to get into the boxes and use any loosened, exposed soil around the vegetable plants as a latrine.

3. Pocoveggie

Pocoveggie Member

Thank you for your reply.
    The beds are going in a very sunny location that dries out quickly, especially in summer. I am pretty sure it is grubs because, from what I have read, the conditions are ideal for them. Also, I have been watching the infestation move through the neighborhood. Now it's my turn, I guess. Point taken about cats and othe critters -- I will be fencing in the beds. I should have plenty of good soil because I started composting this year and when I turn it over I can see my 'black gold' s coming along nicely.
    Thanks again.

4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

If you are going to turn over the sod in the raised beds, you will probably have trouble with Wireworms the first year, since they are common in grassy areas. I've found, from experience, that converting lawn to garden usually takes a year before you start getting good results. However, that was without adding any significant amount of manure or compost. The grubs that you are worried about should not be a problem in the garden beds, because they only like grass. If you remove the sod and add lots of good soil amended with compost and/or composted manure, you will probably get a good crop right away.

5. Pocoveggie

Pocoveggie Member

Thank you for your reply. I plan on scraping off the turf and as it is on a slope excavating the uphill side to level the frame. I thought a layer of cardboard over the bottom, topped with soil from the composter amended with manure should be okay. A post, in another forum, suggested lining the inside walls with plastic, to prevent the boards from rotting. The wood is from old, clean shipping pallets. I am looking forward to spring.
    Cheers.

6. Konachick

Konachick Active Member

I agree with Vitog that wireworms might be an issue. They are a hardbodied, yellow/brown grub, about an inch long, and they are mostly a pest of root vegetables. I had some in one of my beds this year, and I tried potato-traps which seemed to work well. You bury chunks of potato around your garden bed for about a week (you could use a stick to flag where you've buried them). After a week, dig up the potato chunk to 1) see if you actually do have a wireworm infestation and to what extent, and 2) toss the little jerks away in the trash so they don't eat your veggies. I did this through the spring this year and by mid-summer I didn't seem to have too much of an issue. I'm also looking forward to spring and already thinking about my next year's veggie garden!

7. Pocoveggie

Pocoveggie Member

Thank you for the tip.