Windmill Palm

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Unregistered, Dec 7, 2005.

1. I would like some info about my Windmill Palm. I have had this Palm for approx 16 years and it has been planted in the ground in a planter. It is now at least 12 feet high and seemed very happy. I recently noticed it has new roots appearing about 6 inches above soil level and I am wondering if this is a concern. Should the soil level be built up around these roots or are they "air" roots?.

2. Takana_Hana

Takana_Hana Active Member 10 Years

i would say, just to cover the top roots with soil...

3. marwhe

marwhe Member

I am in Tucson Arizona; my daughter and I found a palm tree out near a rock pile in the desert which we think is a windmill palm. We are trying to resuscitate it as there is new growth out the top. Unfortunately there is very little root left, looks like it was just chopped off when it was taken out of the ground-maybe six inches. Any ideas on how we may this this poor thing?

4. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

marwhe,
    It's very unlikely (next to impossible) to have a windmill palm seedling(Trachycarpus fortunei) growing near a rock pile in the desert. Unless of course someone was watering it and shading it from the blistering sun. These are not drought tollerant or desert dwellers capable of surviving those conditions. What you most likely have is Washingtonia, either filifera or robusta. Hard to say if what you have is likely to survive. Regular water and limited hot sun while it revives itself, if it ever does with the "very little root" you say it has remaining.

Unregistered original poster,
    No need to back fill over these new emerging roots at the base of the trunk. It's a natural occurance, and mother nature never did any back filling. Chances are if you did, watering (rain or otherwise) would wash it away anyway.

5. PalmBoy

PalmBoy Member

hmmm...i was going to say just cover it up with dirt, but LPN is probably right, it wont do any harm to leave it. If the look of it bothers you, try some landscaping such as mulch or rock around it to cover it up. if theres any way to get a picture of it up here, it would be appreciated.
    -alex